Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Cant Afford ChildCare!!!

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

I havent slept at all in a week because of my issues with the cost of Childcare. Being a single mom with my first child I never really know what to do until I get there, but I need to get rid of this anxiety. I love my daughters daycare but the reality is that without assisstance I cannot afford it. The worst part about it is ever where I look seems to be just about as expensive as where she is going now. I feel like I will never get my head above water and I dont know how to fix this. Its like all my options lead me to the same horrible result, me and my daughter being homeless and eating out of dumpsters, the only other option I have is to pick up another full time shift and work 80 hours a week again which means I never see my daughter. I just keep spinning all the options around in my head which just causes panic and anxiety. I just need something thrown at me so I can go one direction with my thoughts on this and actually move forward.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chchchangez
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Are there any head start or other income restricted assistance programs where you are? I know you have probably exhausted those options.

laylahanna
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Actually thats kind of the problem I am on assisstance until the end of this month but my income is higher then there maximum income. Starting June I will be expected to pay $60/day this averages to $1200/month for day care I bring home around $1700/month in Imcome plus the $50 child support I get. And I make $200 to much to qualify for any assisstance programs its like I was ment to fail

o0gone0o
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

That is a tough spot. No family or friends to help ease the burden? What are you doing to increase the odds of finding a better paying job? Have you looked into healthcare staffing agencies? You don't need to be a CNA  to be a sitter for an agency. Sitters supervise patients that are one on one supervision coming out from being under for surgery, or in retraints, or just at risk of hurting themselves. Pay is $15-$20 an hr no benefits pretty flexible schedules.

laylahanna
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I am the peson that eases everyone elses burdens so no one to turn to. I  have been looking into ways to increase my pay but I am in the accounting field and spent alot of time and energy to get a degree in that accounting so I feel I need to stick with it. Unfortunatly i have been unable to find better pay and dont know if the search is worth it, almost feel like I was better off when I was unemployed.

JeremysMom
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Have you looked into home daycares? Sometimes they are cheaper.
CameronsMommy23
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I agree with trying an in home daycare facility.
chchchangez
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

What area are you in? Would relocation for a better job be an option (tho not an immediate solution?)

laylahanna
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I haven't thought of the in home childcare i could research that a little more. I would almost just need it through the summer and half days through the winter. My daughter should be starting preschool here soon. Wow this has actually been helpful it actually giving me an idea of how to start facing this issue. Thank you everyone

laylahanna
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I am located in denver. I dont feel relocation would really help right now theres the rick of added financial stress.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Have you considered bartering for childcare? My cousin watched a neighbors two kids while she worked 2nd shift and the neighbor watched her boys while she worked 3rd shift. If their schedules over lapped they split the cost of the babysitter until the neighbor got home from her job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)