Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do you get your teenagers to dress respectably?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 12yo and 13yo actually do pretty well at this but I don't really know what, if anything, I did that made them want to dress that way.

My 14yo cousin, however, is dressing like a skank and her mom's at a complete loss as to what to do.

How do you get a teen to dress respectably rather than slutty?

by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Replies (21-27):
rebeccasmly
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Its never really been an issue. They know what they're expected to wear for different functions and that's what they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katenemsmom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM
She needs to be taught how to dress. Something that looks slutty on one girl may look fine on another. She should be taken to appropriate stores and taught what looks good on her. I am short, long skirts look terrible on me. I wish I could wear those long sundresses, but I can't. She needs guidance.
sissy502
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Quoting bamababe1975:

My 12yo and 13yo actually do pretty well at this but I don't really know what, if anything, I did that made them want to dress that way.

My 14yo cousin, however, is dressing like a skank and her mom's at a complete loss as to what to do.

How do you get a teen to dress respectably rather than slutty?

Don't buy skanky clothes. 

GarysWife1991
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

With mine I've never cared what they wore around the house but when they go out, we've always told them what they look like represents our entire family and they must dress and act appropriately.  We haven't had many issues. 

piwife
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Who buys her the clothes...... i
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I will try to set a good example and not buy things that I feel are unnacceptable.

I love how our kids are always great angels and others' are little slutty monsters lmao.

Chelskay
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Okay well I'm 20, so I just exited the teen years. And let me tell you about what I've learned and have accepted.

You have to start from young in teaching good morals. Right from wrong. Different situations they'll be put in and choices they'll come across. Regardless if you are the best parent in the world.. TEENAGERS are teenagers. When my mom tells me about her "highschool" experiences and what was going on.. How boys want one thing and blah blah.. It's worse than that now a days.. A thousand times worse.
This generation is absolutely sickening.
My daughters generation will be WORSE with the years to come...

Now I was raised by a decent family, everyone has their problems. I had my morals right but I also didn't want to be made fun of for dressing like a "mountain man" .. YES, girls will make fun of other girls for what they wear.. Boys will tease for not being cute and so on..

So I did dress inappropriately. My parents NEVER bought me "slutty" clothes.. I cut my jeans, I altered my shirts.. I borrowed clothes from my friends.. I left the house looking "wholesome" and got to school looking like a hot piece of ass just to fit in and get attention from boys to BOOST my huge ego. (Let's not kid ourselves ladies, NO boy in highschool wants a "relationship" with girls. Church boys, bad boys.. Whatever they are, want SEX)

Now being taught this by my mom, knowing some guy would be trying to get into my pants regardless what I wore or looked like.. I was SMART. I didn't listen to the "oh baby I love you crap"
I held my own and ended up meeting my husband ( who's in the military ) my mom always told me things to look for in a man, and things that are big red flags to quickly run for the hills.. And made me watch a ton of lifetime movies lol. So I was also very aware of my surroundings and predators.
I'm happy to say I have had ONE partner and have been married for 3 years.
It's all about how you parent your children and teach them. Yes I married young and had children young but I also knew my husband was the real deal. Who was past the immaturity and ready for a family.
No boy is wanting a family in highschool, they're not looking for a girl and her great personality.. If they find one like that, boys call them "the virginity game".. They court them, are sweet, say I love you.. And take their virginity and run for the hills spreading their story and (pictures if they have them) to everyone.. Then usually that girl is distraught because she was very naive and parents obviously didn't teach her ANYTHING.. And ends up being a "slut". I know because ive witnessed my friends go through it.Just teach them well, make them aware.. I know we all don't want our kids to be having sex in highschool, but if you were, chances are they will too.. Especially nowadays.
The key is making them not naive of the lies boys will tell to get into their pants. So that they'll stay away and make better choices.. But just because they're dressing a certain way doesn't mean they're bad kids.

Just trying to fit into what "society" has told them is cute, hot, and sexy. No one wants to be "that girl" at school who's made fun of and doesn't fit in.

It's sad but the truth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)