Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anybody know about rabbits? This isn't making sense to me

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son entered a rabbit in fair.  He's in kindergarten so a young 4-her.  We get to fair today and they tell me that they "received a phone call" that my son's rabbit was old and was just randomly falling over.  They were concerned about his health and we needed to take it home directly after the showing.

My son was crushed but we did it.  He showed his rabbit and we left the fair without really doing anything to come home.  They wouldn't refund my tickets for today or Sunday either despite sending us home.

The whole time we were there this morning his rabbit seemed fine.  He was hopping around eating and drinking.   They opened the cage for a minute and had to close it because he was leaning so far out of it.  He loves being held.  Didn't seem to have any problems.  Then I talked to my sister-in-law.  Her boys have goats and the goat barn is right across from the rabbit barn.  She was keeping an eye on his rabbit yesterday when we didn't need to be there.  She said he was fine.  He will stretch out and lay on his side with his head up but the minute I walk towards that cage he jumps up and hops to the door.

All of the way home he was fine.  He was nosing towards me through the carrier.  We came home and he happily went in his cage no problems.  He is going on 6 years old but I looked up average lifespan of a rabbit and it says 7-15 years depending on care.  He has a long time left considering his care.  He has been a show bunny since he was 6 weeks old!  We got him from a former 4-her who graduated high school.

Something doesn't seem right here.  Now I have to find him a new rabbit for next year.  And I have to figure out where I'm going to put a third rabbit as well.  My son has one, my daughter has one, and now my son needs a new one for fair.  We had no clue what we were doing as it is because they had 4 meetings the whole year and they were things like "here fill out the fair forms done!"  "here this is what you are going to do to make the stallcard done!"  "This rabbit is this breed.  Done!"  Nothing that helped us with fair this year at all.  The only time he learned how to show I had the person who we bought the rabbit from come and show us!

Any thoughts?  He says he's just going to find a new fair that will take old rabbits.  My poor guy :(

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raye-chan
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM
I don't know anything about rabbits ago here's a bump!

He's a cutie by the way! I haven't seen a lot of 4-H members on here either!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Thanks

Quoting raye-chan:

I don't know anything about rabbits ago here's a bump!

He's a cutie by the way! I haven't seen a lot of 4-H members on here either!

Bmat
by Barb on May. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I wonder who called, for one thing.  Do the records carry over from year to year? Maybe the same rabbit can be entered next year, although since he is elderly it might not be a bad idea to have a younger rabbit in training.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Have you had the rabbit checked by a vet?

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I have no clue if the records carry over. I'd rather not risk being sent home again.

Quoting Bmat:

I wonder who called, for one thing.  Do the records carry over from year to year? Maybe the same rabbit can be entered next year, although since he is elderly it might not be a bad idea to have a younger rabbit in training.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
There's not much a vet can do for stress in an older rabbit besides tell us to avoid it.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Bmat
by Barb on May. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM

It is a shame that your son had this happen.  Love the picture, by the way, sweet rabbit and very dear little boy.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Quoting Bmat:

It is a shame that your son had this happen.  Love the picture, by the way, sweet rabbit and very dear little boy.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Depending on the breed, they live anywhere from 5-15 years. My guy died at not quite 7 but he was mistreated for the 5 years before I got him. He was a longhaired rabbit but I don't remember the exact breed as it has been years since I had him. Good luck for next year.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I meant to assure it is in good health.  If it is just anxiety due to being shown, try rescue remedy drops by Bach. You can put a drop or two in its water bottle and a drop or two on its ear tip (on the inside pink part) and rub it in.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-250556.html

http://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/110691/Default.aspx

http://www.houndsnkitties.com/library/articlerabbits.htm

Swanson's Vitamins has it for a really good price. The 20ml bottle will last a while since you're only using a drop or two at a time.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

There's not much a vet can do for stress in an older rabbit besides tell us to avoid it.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN