Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does anyone have any suggestions of jobs that my 14 1/2 old son could get?

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 40 Replies
Hello I was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on part time jobs he could have because he really wants to start getting a regular income. Thanks for the help, Monica
by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supercarp
by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

In the summer there is usually seasonal work at horse stables cleaning stalls.

RenderitDone
by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Ok thanks supercarp I'll check on that
1gettingbetter
by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

My son was able to lifeguard at that age, after passing the training class.  If he is good at something, he could also teach or tutor younger kids - things like tennis, swimming, soccer, etc.  Good luck.

pumpkin50
by on May. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Yard work for neighbors??

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Most places don't hire until 16yr old because of labor laws being to strict....

Cutting lawns in the neighborhood
Walking dogs
Babysitting siblings/cousins
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Bag boy at a supermarket
bi-polarmommy
by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

at 14.5, most places wont hire him cause hes too young, but he COULD volunteer at local animal shelters, boys and girls club or places like that, and get expierence, so when he is 16, he can get a job easier

CHERYL578
by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

He can start his own lawn mowing business. Once he gets his regulars they will want him every 2 weeks and he can make pretty good money. It will be a weekend thing. The kids where I live charge for a small front yard $10.00 backyard $20 and if the front yard is big $20. It will be a every 2 week job that he will have and its money coming in for him.

lovinmama411
by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Look up the laws in your state. I know there are some states that allow them to work certain hours. I worked at a Chic-Fil-A when I was 15. Some states will go as young as 14 1/2, but it is usually only in food service jobs or jobs at gas stations doing limited things. Call a local fast food restaurant and ask them. If you've already addressed this, sorry, I didn't read the replies.

kstchr
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

There's always yardwork...raking leaves, mowing lawns, etc. or perhaps at an animal shelter or grocery store as a sacker?? (I'm not sure what the minimum age is for that). I bet some people would be willing to pay to get someone else do their "dirty jobs"...  There's also pet sitting while people are on vacation, or other things to do with pets. (dog walking, etc.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)