Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would it be wrong to buckle my 5yo into a booster seat at the table?

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 32 Replies
DD is almost 5. She is very "spirited" and possibly has some sensory issues. She does not. Stop. Moving. Dinner is extremely exhausting. Any meal actually. We have to tell her every 5 seconds to sit down, 4 on the floor, eat... She is constantly upside down, laying across her chair, standing on her chair, turned backward, jumping, tiltin back... It's exhausting just to watch, let alone try to correct (which we do!).

And of course we are working on it from a behavior/discipline standpoint. But I think we could benefit from this "band aid" of sorts to help for a time. Right now we're all just too frustrated to get anywhere.

Would It be wrong to put her back in a booster chair with a buckle?

And if it wouldn't be, is there a chair with a really low boost? We need the buckle not the height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaanl
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

There are booster seats with buckles that are made for children to sit at the table with. Have you made an appointment with her doctor yet?  My 4 (almost 5) year old is having a lot of the same issues with not being able to sit still(no matter how hard he tries), and not being able to concentrate and being all over the place.  He meets with the doctor in a c ouple of weeks.  

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Booster seat is ok, but consistant discipline every time she does not listen also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Booster seat is okay. 

Consistent discipline also. 

But if she has sensory issues, perhaps what would help is giving her some way to meet her sensory needs but still be following table manners?  *Like is it okay if she swings/kicks her feet? Or make it a game...this many bites wiggle your toes. This many bites wiggle your feet. This many bites wiggle your legs. This many bites wiggle your hips. ect. If it really is a sensory issue it may be asking too much of her to expect her to sit completely still for an entire meal. Start with one goal. Staying seated.

She definitely sounds like a sensory seeker. Perhaps give her more times in the day when she can meet the sensory things she is seeking out in appropriate ways. So if she's a mover... Do active things: jumping, running, skipping, swinging, etc. 

My son is 3  1/2. He has a sensory disorder and anxiety. It's a challenge, but you have to meet them where they are at. It gets better. Look into occupational therapy, definitely helps. 

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I'm going to bring it up at her 5 yr which is in just a few weeks. I tried to make an appointment a while back with the ones who do evals for SPDs, but never heard back from them. So I decided to wait and just get a referral from her pedi if she thinks it's needed.

Quoting mamaanl:

There are booster seats with buckles that are made for children to sit at the table with. Have you made an appointment with her doctor yet?  My 4 (almost 5) year old is having a lot of the same issues with not being able to sit still(no matter how hard he tries), and not being able to concentrate and being all over the place.  He meets with the doctor in a c ouple of weeks.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I still cant get my 9 year old son to sit still at dinner, he is standing half the time. I say good luck and do what you think it best for your family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
We do try. But it is very difficult when it is literally non stop. It's not that she doesn't listen, if she's laying across the seat and we say "sit up", she does. She just forgets herself and is doing it again 5 seconds later. She's not meaning to be "bad". That's not to say we don't discipline it, we do. But if say we send her to her room for getting out of her seat because she "must be done"...she would starve. There is nothing that keeps this child seated. No threat, no punishment, no reward, no incentive of any kind. Because she's not doing it consciously. She just had a need for constant motion.

Quoting atlmom2:

Booster seat is ok, but consistant discipline every time she does not listen also.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on May. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Can she sit at slower table with a yoga ball as a seat? This helps my son concentrate, he rocks back and forth but he focuses.
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I've wondered if she does need OT. We don't ask that she sit completely still. We just want her to stay in the seat like 75% of the time and not tilt the chair. That would be major success for us.

It's almost worse when she has had the opportunity to be really active. It only increases her excitement level. We got her a mini trampoline for Christmas hoping we could use it to burn off a bit of energy here and there. I figured if she was jumping off the walls I'd send her to the tramp to jump. She calls it "getting energy" when she jumps. She has more "go" after jumping than before.

She is definitely a thrill seeker. Last year we went to Disneyland and her favorite rides were space mountain, splash mountain, and big thunder mountain railroad. She wanted nothing to do with kiddie stuff.

Tonight was especially crazy, and we've been very active today, but all indoors. She's been sick and it's been rainy, so no outside. I need to watch if that makes a difference.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Booster seat is okay. 

Consistent discipline also. 

But if she has sensory issues, perhaps what would help is giving her some way to meet her sensory needs but still be following table manners?  *Like is it okay if she swings/kicks her feet? Or make it a game...this many bites wiggle your toes. This many bites wiggle your feet. This many bites wiggle your legs. This many bites wiggle your hips. ect. If it really is a sensory issue it may be asking too much of her to expect her to sit completely still for an entire meal. Start with one goal. Staying seated.

She definitely sounds like a sensory seeker. Perhaps give her more times in the day when she can meet the sensory things she is seeking out in appropriate ways. So if she's a mover... Do active things: jumping, running, skipping, swinging, etc. 

My son is 3  1/2. He has a sensory disorder and anxiety. It's a challenge, but you have to meet them where they are at. It gets better. Look into occupational therapy, definitely helps. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Haven't tried a yoga ball. For a while she sat at a smaller table for breakfast and lunch, but she ended up not eating much because it was harder for us to keep her on task not at the table with us. So we made her start joining us all the time instead of just dinner. We don't have that small table anymore, but I guess we could let her eat at her school desk. I'll suggest this option to DH to try. I've heard before those yoga balls can help.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Can she sit at slower table with a yoga ball as a seat? This helps my son concentrate, he rocks back and forth but he focuses.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on May. 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Some schools are even using them now in place if chairs to help kids with poor spatial awareness be able to grasp where they are. It's like some kids cannot feel that they are sitting in a chair with their legs bent, so they constantly need to move to be able to "feel" where there body is. Poor proprioception I think. It's a cheap test though at least

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Haven't tried a yoga ball. For a while she sat at a smaller table for breakfast and lunch, but she ended up not eating much because it was harder for us to keep her on task not at the table with us. So we made her start joining us all the time instead of just dinner. We don't have that small table anymore, but I guess we could let her eat at her school desk. I'll suggest this option to DH to try. I've heard before those yoga balls can help.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN