Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I failed my daughter **update**

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM
  • 23 Replies

Ok ladies here's an update! We got my dd's grade back today and she got an A+!!! I know I was freaking out for no reason. Thank you ladies for your support!! 

So my daughter is 8 and in 2nd grade and her teacher sent home an assignment around spring break that was a research project due at the end of the school year. It's a large grade. She chose to do it on Native Americans. Anyway, here we are at the end of the school year and I totally failed to sit down with her and do it. It has to be 15-30 minutes long (which I think is a bit long for 2nd grade). She was supposed to present it last Friday and because we didn't have it done I kept her home from school :( we are still barely finishing it up and now I'm concerned it won't be long enough for the requirement. I'm afraid my DD is going to be disappointed. I'm beating myself up over this and I know better! I'm the mom! I'm just not sure what the hell my problem is. She's our only daughter so far btw. Just needed to get that off my chest. I just feel like a terrible mother and like I epically failed her. I'm afraid I'm setting her up for failure later on in her school years. 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedmommie07
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you talked to the teacher? Let them know you got a lot of it done but it might not meet the requirement. She might not care too much as long as your DD turns what she has in and presents it. Might not be the grade she would get of all finished but probably a whole lot better than a failing grade.

Don't blame yourself too much. It is hard to remember sometimes, life gets busy, things come up and things slip your mind. DS is in kindergarten and I got things for a project he had to do but forgot to help him put it together until the night before so it wasn't as good if we had done it in advance but it was still good enough.

Also maybe if you don't have one get a calendar, phone apps or nice or a family calendar in a white board you can hang up for everyone to see. That might help to remember big projects and stuff that needs to get done. Even "scheduling" a day and time to do it before it is due.
MrsACruz3
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I need to get a calendar for the fridge. Thanks for the reply it makes me feel better. I'm just concerned that she will develop bad habits later on in school. I dunno. I know I'm way too hard on myself (i get upset when I forget to send her to school with Chapstick lol) but thanks for the input! 

blessedmommie07
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I stress when I forget and procrastinate as well. If you start now trying to improve time management and organization it will help her as she gets older and might be able to start developing heathlh study habits :)

Quoting MrsACruz3:

Yeah I need to get a calendar for the fridge. Thanks for the reply it makes me feel better. I'm just concerned that she will develop bad habits later on in school. I dunno. I know I'm way too hard on myself (i get upset when I forget to send her to school with Chapstick lol) but thanks for the input! 

MrsACruz3
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I am starting to feel a bit less guilt about it all. It's 2nd grade not a college thesis lol! :)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:34 AM

DD is in the 1st grade so we have not had any really big projects but i know the feeling of not getting things done in a timely manner.  A calendar will help big time to organize school assignments.  I have a weekly one as well as a monthly one .   I forgot last friday was early release until i saw the sign at school that thursday.  I am in constant communication with her teachers to make sure things are getting done.  Another big worry is library books.

GleekingOut
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Wow - are you sure it was supposed to be 15 - 30 minutes? The longest ever speech my DD had to do was 5 minutes. My son is in 4th grade and he has never had to do a presentation that long. That's crazy. But anyway - it's not the biggest deal, it's second grade. I think the teacher probably wanted to see how many kids would make it their own work and how many parents would simply do it all for the kids. :/

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Talk to the teacher.  I would also get a calendar.  We have a family calendar and everything is put into that with reminders set.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Janis_1975
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM

15-30 minutes!!!??? that is crazy!!!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
You failed? She failed. I am sure she was reminded multiple times at school. Here that would have been a group project and done at school even for middle schoolers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  15-30 minutes seems really long.  I am a college student and the longest speech or presentation I've had to give was 10 minutes.  Don't beat yourself up mama.  I'm sure she'll do fine.  Maybe talk to the teacher though.  That seems a bit too long for an 8 year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN