Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When should I potty train her?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM
  • 21 Replies
Hello :) My daughter will be 15mos old in a week. I am starting to feel that it's time to consider starting to potty train. When did you mothers start to potty train your little ones? I heard it's a lot diff w/ a little girl than a boy. When you do start, when do you start using panties? Do I start w/ a potty chair? I want to be prepared before I start & I also don't want to start too early and us both get frustrated. She has made it clear a few times that she knows when she is peeing & she's been trying to take her diaper off for the past month or so. Thanks! :)
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I would start by a potty chair for simple fact it is smaller for their behind and lower to ground.  The different diaper sites have a potty training section about how to know when the child is ready for potty training.  Most of us do not start until they turn 2 yrs old though.  Elmo even has a video/dvd out about potty time.

Saharra
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:46 AM
I personally didn't start with a potty chair because our bathroom is so small there was no room. I started without an extra seat at all, but I only have boys and I never trained a girl. With my boys it was a breeze by teaching them to sit backwards on the seat. Weird? Yes. Easy. Yes. But it was easy to transition to standing.
I think I started my first at about 18 months. But he was ready. He WANTED to try, so any time he asked, we went. He was trained fast.
We started my youngest at 2 1/2, and he's almost 4 and still not completely there during the night, but days time was a breeze. The only accidents we ever had was during the night and at families houses, because Grandma is quite the distraction :)
You will know when she is ready. There's lots of different methods out there. Pick what works for you guys and don't be afraid to change if one doesn't work because something different may work better for you guys and you don't know until you try.
GleekingOut
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:02 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm so not bashing - I guess in Australia we do it differently. Most of the daycares I've worked in, nobody touches toilet training until they've moved to the 2years - 3years group. None of my kids were TT'd until they were 2 and a half. (my eldest was closer to 3 - but she WANTED to toilet train, I wouldn't allow her to toilet train until she learnt how to walk and she was almost 3 when that happened.) But I would go by *her* signals, does she know the difference between wet and dry? can she tell you when she's pooped? does she show interest in the toilet? that's what you've gotta look out for.

emmy526
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Does she stay dry for periods of time? Does she wake up from nap dry? Is she aware she is pooping? does she show interest in you using the potty and want to mimic?  I'd start by putting her on the potty when you use the bathroom too..that way she'll get adjusted to taking her pants off and sitting down.  

Janis_1975
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I have 6 children and found the best time for my kids was 2.5 years old. not 2 years old, 2.5, that extra 6 months really helped.

I never used a potty chair, I used one of the ring potty seats that go on the real toilet and a little step stool.  To me a little potty is just a wasted step, because you have to train them to use that little potty THEN have to train them to use a real toilet, I go straight to the real toilet, less work and clean up.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I waited till nearly 3 to train my girls. They trained very fast. 15 monthsc too young. My girls were not walking at 15 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I started very early with my first to be ready for the second.

We would push fluids and have potty time in front of the tv...

There's so many different ways and ages- just go with it and see what works for you.  :)

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think it is too early.  Is she aware she pooping or peeing?  Can she pull down her pants and pull them back up?  Does she understand the need to go?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

RUCRIOUS925
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My experience with potty training was as follows...

I started when my daughter turned 2 and was going to start a nursery program and I was going back to work. I used the pullups and those potty's you can set up just about anywhere, I had mine in the bathroom next to the "big people" one. You need to stick to some sort of routine as far as when your child drinks liquids and when she moves her bowels. By this I mean if they drink water, juice etc...within half hour or so you begin to ask if they need to go. Same for...you get the picture lol.

What for signs they need to go, figety, squatting, standing by corners, being still or very quiet.

Set limit for liquid before bedtime to avoid accidents. So if child goes down at 8pm stop around 7pm. Make sure you take them to potty before you lay them down and I also suggest you get some sort of pads to place underneath them because they will have accidents and you don't wantto be washing sheets EVERY DAY.

Potty train is different for every child some adapt after month or two but others take longer, take many many deep breaths, remember the big picture, don't give up and prepare to find "surprises" sometimes when and where you least expect it.

She seems to be on right track so encourgage her. As for the panties or briefs I believe they sell cute pullups now with pictures and such so maybe you can just start off with that and next year get the panties. Best of luck and again don't forget to breath!!! :)

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

A good rule of thumb is to train when she wakes from a nap dry.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)