Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

depression after hysterectomy

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
My name is Renee. Im 32 years old and i had a hysterectomy the 13 of this month. The Dr left my ovaries and said i would be awesome now. But I've had severe mood swings and depression since then. I can't stand myself or anyone else n have moments where i just want to cry all day. But the Dr says im fine. Does anyone else have this problem?
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tezell78
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Hi. I had my hysterectomy at 32, an like you my doc said you'll be good as new, yeah, no I was moody as all hell for about a year. It does get better, your body just has to adjust and level out, it takes a little while, in the mean time there are some things you can do, take time for yourself, look for herbal supplements. It will pass, it's basically menopause. It sucks, pm me if you need to talk
renee1481
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Thanks hun. I sure hope so
wodntulk2kno1
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I had mine 2 years ago and it gets better. I was not depressed I was discouraged with the fast changes my body was adjusting too. It gets better in time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2wife1
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I haven't had one but I do hope you feel better soon.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry :(   I think you should change doctors.  It sounds like he/she isn't listening to you.  I hope you feel better soon!

saysmom
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

My sister had one back in march and is still having a hard time. But she also got nerve damage from the surgery and her legs are giving her a lot of trouble. She also had to have a blood transfusion. So I don't know if her emotions are from the actual hysterectomy or the fact that she feels worse now than before she had it. In which she was told she would be like a new woman! She cries all the time!!!! Best of luck to you!!!!

renee1481
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Thanks everyone. And i can identify with the leg problems too. I have lots of pains and sore spots in my legs. Unfortunately, the Dr never mentioned any of these problems. All the info I've gotten has been on Google. Frustrated..
JNLmomme09
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Your body went through a really big change hormonally. I think that with vitamins it could help you feel better. Anti depressants can make it worse and also mess around with your sex drive. IMO vitamins are a safer alternative. I know this sounds stupid but dr. Phil actually has a really good list in his website. Or you can talk to your dr or go to like gnc
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My advice, honestly, is to find another doctor who will listen to your concerns and not blow you off. Your mood swings and depression are real issues, as are the leg pains and other things you're experiencing, and the doctor should listen to you, examine you, and really take your feelings into consideration as he/she tries to help you.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM
If u have ovaries it is not menopause. You are still going through the normal hormon cycle every month.. and even releasing an egg, just no uterus for it to go to.
I had hysterectomy at 34 but had been fighting the decision for yrs because I wanted just one more child. My depression had more to do with letting go of that desire and coming to terms with the fact there is never a chance now. Also, even when u know you are done, it is still a huge part of how we identify as women. As for hormone changes... the thing that threw me is I still had PMS but no period so I never realized when it would happen. Some women told me that soy helps but I didn't take it. I just gave myself time to grieve and started excercising more
Good luck.

Quoting tezell78:

Hi. I had my hysterectomy at 32, an like you my doc said you'll be good as new, yeah, no I was moody as all hell for about a year. It does get better, your body just has to adjust and level out, it takes a little while, in the mean time there are some things you can do, take time for yourself, look for herbal supplements. It will pass, it's basically menopause. It sucks, pm me if you need to talk

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)