Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too young for "the talk"????

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 7 (soon to be 8) year old daughter has recently been asking alot of questions about her body and my body. She has been asking about boys too. I've been listening to her questions and have been very selective and vague with my answers. Is it too early to have the puberty talk with her??

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvemboth
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM
If she's curious, I think it's a great time. You may have to have a follow up talk down the rd...but go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moe1521
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
If she is asking, be honest with her. She is interested, and this is a good step IMO, for her to feel like she can be honest with you and talk to you about anything. That's about how old I was....
n8vmija
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies I feel better about talking to her now.

MommyLehr
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Definitely talk to her!! She trusts you and that's a great thig!
svallejo
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
No not at all. If she's asking questions answer them while she's still asking YOU and not someone else. Now its a good time to show her that she can come to you with anything and that our doesn't need to be uncomfortable. remember its all natural. Just make sure she understands that if other kids ask her about stuff like this that that is their parents jobs to answer their questions and not for her to tell them what she knows. (some parents get huffy about that lol) my husband and i began having these talks with my step kids @about 8yo. Theyate both now teens and they are up front and honest about what they do and if they have questions they ask us.
jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 23, 2013 at 1:24 AM

If she is asking, tell her. 

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM

No , it is not too early. But only answer the questions she asks. There will be more questions down the road.

QuirkyMom26
by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I sat dds down a month or so ago in preparation that they *might* get their period some time soon so I wanted to talk to them about their bodies and stuff so they weren't too scared when they started bleeding and what not. 

Anyways, google some images about the women's reproductive organs and stuff and just show her what everything does and how it works. My dds were a little weirded out at first but after awhile they got really interested in it and started asking questions.  They gave me a hug and kiss goodnight and it wasn't at all weird.  

I hope that was a good stepping stone for them and they know they can come to me and ask me whatever they want without things being *too* awkward.

Their both 9 btw.

Janis_1975
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM

give her honest answers without going into it to deep, she doesn't need all details :)

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It's never too young for the talk. This should be an ongoing conversation, not just once. Answer her questions. Don't be vague, or she'll think there's something wrong with asking you and start asking her friends. There's a great book by American Girl called The Care And Keeping Of You. Get it and read it together. It's awesome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured