Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Well she packed up and left.

Posted by   + Show Post

Well my daughter has thrown her future away! She packed up and left to move in with boyfriend.! We can't do a whole lot but this is my first time going through this. 17 and it was one month till graduation! She decided to not go anymore. Thankfully her counclor emailed me and said she did slid by to graduate. I went to the graduation but she didn't know I was there. We have called police, nothing we can do because she is of age here. Suggestions and advice PLEASE!

by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No we don't care for the boyfriend for one he is much older in my/our eyes. He is 22 she is 17! We knew nothing about him and we tried to call her on it and she left! Here in Colorado at 17 they can basically do as an 18 year old. It breaks my heart to pieces.

Quoting SamMom912:

I can imagine. I take it you dont care for the boyfriend? Im sure the shortsightedness of her actions (thankfully she is going to graduate) just breaks your heart. What are her plans for work? Why the sudden decision? Is it close by?

Quoting mommyinthe303:

It is so stressful but I feel like WOW so betrayed and hurt and shocked at her actions.

Quoting SamMom912:

Oh, that is so hard. Its so hard to watch those we love make choices we dont like... and that we know can cause them some potential heartache. Oh momma... this is a tough one.
I dont think there is much you can do. I dont think I would help her (no money, no help in any way-- ok, food..,Id give her food and birth control!)  but I would definetely express that if and when she needs to come home she is always welcome. Id tell her that life is hard... and if it gets to much she is always welcome back in your house to get back on her feet or If she decides she wants to go to college or something positive moving forward... Id put out there that youre in her corner.. her biggest fan. You dont want to see her struggle and when and if it gets too hard. Your here... no questions asked at that point. Wish her well.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Oh... Here is a HUG.. that is SOOO hard! Im sure... are they staying close by (I HOPE) Its good when mom's house is a good lace to escape. Bide your time... dont push... leave the door open... youve got to play this one kinda cool.. you dont want there to be "an i told you so." until shes been back for 6 months.. lets hope that soon!!!! Ill add you to my thoughts and prayers. Keep me posted!!

Quoting mommyinthe303:

No we don't care for the boyfriend for one he is much older in my/our eyes. He is 22 she is 17! We knew nothing about him and we tried to call her on it and she left! Here in Colorado at 17 they can basically do as an 18 year old. It breaks my heart to pieces.

Quoting SamMom912:

I can imagine. I take it you dont care for the boyfriend? Im sure the shortsightedness of her actions (thankfully she is going to graduate) just breaks your heart. What are her plans for work? Why the sudden decision? Is it close by?

Quoting mommyinthe303:

It is so stressful but I feel like WOW so betrayed and hurt and shocked at her actions.

Quoting SamMom912:

Oh, that is so hard. Its so hard to watch those we love make choices we dont like... and that we know can cause them some potential heartache. Oh momma... this is a tough one.
I dont think there is much you can do. I dont think I would help her (no money, no help in any way-- ok, food..,Id give her food and birth control!)  but I would definetely express that if and when she needs to come home she is always welcome. Id tell her that life is hard... and if it gets to much she is always welcome back in your house to get back on her feet or If she decides she wants to go to college or something positive moving forward... Id put out there that youre in her corner.. her biggest fan. You dont want to see her struggle and when and if it gets too hard. Your here... no questions asked at that point. Wish her well.

jojo_star
by on May. 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

She needs to learn this lesson the hard way. Be there to catch her when she crashes. 

emmy526
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

BTDT...she hopefully will learn the hard way, and want to come back home in a month or so...hopefully she'll stay out of the wrong crowd, hopefully she will acknowledge you are there for here no matter what.  Are you keeping in touch with her or is she refusing to talk to you? If it's refusal to talk to you, give her some distance, for a week, and try again.  Keep trying.  If she is talking to you at some level, then you are able to let her know she is welcome home at any time.  

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I'm so sorry mama! Try to stay in contact, she is very young and her brain isn't done growing yet so don't despair. The main thing I would urge you to do is to stress how very important BIRTH CONTROL is at this point and then just hope that she will continue her education and stay in touch with you. HUGS!

rockinmomto2
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I love how everyone is calling her moving out a mistake. Maybe she and her mother don't get along? We have no idea what the relationship at home is like. The kid is of age and moved out of her moms house. Maybe it's a mistake, maybe it's not. Maybe, just maybe, not everyone who moves out at 17 ruins their life. 

OP, all you can do is love your daughter and support her. Be kind and loving. 

JeremysMom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

This. I moved out the day after I graduated. My relationship with my mother was toxic. Once we were in seperate places, we were able to respect each other.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I love how everyone is calling her moving out a mistake. Maybe she and her mother don't get along? We have no idea what the relationship at home is like. The kid is of age and moved out of her moms house. Maybe it's a mistake, maybe it's not. Maybe, just maybe, not everyone who moves out at 17 ruins their life. 

OP, all you can do is love your daughter and support her. Be kind and loving. 

MomToDarienne
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

That sounds exactly like my sister. My mother did everything she could to get her back, but she was of age. The best thing you can do is let her learn her lesson, and believe me, my sister did. She never came back to live, but she did come back to the family. She found out who was really there for her.

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM
We got along great until this boy who is 22 came along. I try to communicate with her but she is short so i will try again and again. I love her but i appreciate all the advice.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Be there for her as much as you can
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)