Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for those who have kids close in age..

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
I'm assuming your son/daughter was a toddler when your baby was born. So what did you do to keep your toddler busy or occupied while you were tending to your newborn?

My son will be 2 yrs and 3 months when this new baby is born. I'm extremely nervous because i will be by myself since my DH has to work and I don't have any near by relatives. Not to mention, my son is super attatched to mama! I'm not sure how I'm going to manage :/
Tips and advice are MUCH welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!!
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Me and my brother are 2/1/2 years apart. My parents told me that I "helped" a lot with him. I helped change him by throwing away the dirty diaper and powder him, I helped feed by holding the bottle when they were holding him, playing with him etc. My mom went back to work when he was 8 weeks old and then I helped grandma with him. As for your son you might want to get him started in an early pre-school like Head Start. That will help with him being too attached also.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:54 AM
My kids are only 15 months apart. My oldest loved helping... almost too much :) you will figure it out. We all just do best we can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa_7777
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM

good luck,, mine will be 3 years and 3 months apart,, im kinda curious also.. all the best darl

mommiedearest22
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn 't have to do much for entertainment... DS was too in to helping, and intrigued, to be bored... He pretty much always took DD over me :( They are inseperatble... Since XDH was deployed shortly before her birth, it was just us 3... Probably helped we still would go to the park, chuck E cheese, and it wasn't just all about DD... This pic is after he had a nightmare, he wanted to sleep in my bed, but wanted sissy too... Plus a few others... 

sita5184
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:51 AM
My dds are 33 months apart. Sometimes its hard, and dd1 likes to touch, kiss and poke dd2. But mostly she entertains herself or brings toys for me to play while I'm nursing. I do notice its a big thing for others to pay attention to her if they visit. Make sure anyone acknowledges first lo first maybe even asks them to introduce baby. My DD loves telling people that's HER sister.
trendy2
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Mine are 13 months apart. I honestly don't remember what I did. He loved to help so that made a big difference.
Cafe Steph
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My girls are only 11mos apart. I just treated it like I was tending to twins, for the most part, doing things for both of them at the same time as much as possible. If I had to change the newborn's diaper, I had my 11mo bring me supplies or throw the dirty diaper away, or shake a rattle to entertain the baby, things like that so she could feel involved.

confused632
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I have 4 kiddos and they are all 2 years apart....and it is hard at first but it works out.  Main thing is to involve the other child as much as possible.  The one closest in age always wants to sit beside me while I am nursing the little one.  9xs out of 10 when baby needs changed so does the older child (if they are not potty trained) so everyone gets a diaper change.  When time to feed baby it is time to get a snack for the other.  When baby is sleeping cuddle/play time for the other.  I always tell me older ones they are still my babies and always will be, mommy loves ALL my babies the same.  Yes, you are getting so big but you are still my baby.  It is a must to have 1 on 1 time with the older even if it seems impossible.

Good luck and you will find a routine it just takes a while to get everyone used to the new baby.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I chose the 6.5 year age gap. But I made sure to involve my oldest. He brought diapers, held his brother if I need to to the bathroom, etc.  

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My first two are 15 months apart, and then my 3rd was born 28 months later. My 4th was born when my 3rd was 28 months as well :)

Do you have a wrap? A moby style wrap is a great idea! You can clean/play at the park with your older child, grocery shop etc. all while holding your baby snugly - and you can breastfeed in them as well.

I bought a bunch of little books and colouring stuff and put it in a basket by the couch. They were only allowed to use those things while I was breastfeeding their little sibling. That kept them occupied and happy, and I got to spend time reading to them while the baby ate/slept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)