Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this allergies? *update

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM
  • 14 Replies
Excessive saliva, slight pain while swallowing, ears plugged. My son sucks in his saliva instead of swallowing right now and he's impossible to understand because of it. Plus the constant sucking noise and asking "what" everytime I say something is driving me insane!
Do you think it's worth an hour long drive to our holistic doctor? We've pretty much ran out of options in otc and prescription allergy meds.

Update
Today he started coughing, sneezing, sniffling, and his eyes are itchy and watery. The doctor's office is closed on Fridays so I'm giving him some homeopathic stuff hoping to find something that helps and praying it doesn't get worse before then. I do still have some prescription allergy meds if it gets to that point but I'd rather not use them. But yes, it's allergies :(
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Try a tsp of local raw honey or dilute it in some lemon water (tsp of lemon juice in 6 oz of water) warmed up.  Those are not my symptoms for allergies but for a cold, i feel that way.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:09 AM

You didnt specify whether you meant seasonal, animal or food allergies.

sita5184
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:33 AM
As an allergy sufferer it doesn't sound like allergies to me but either way try taking him in a steamy bathroom to see if he clears up at all. How old is he? For congestion I am asking a fan of boiling water and vinegar. I ask age because with excessive saliva maybe he's teething if he's small. Definitely sounds like something going on with his ears, too.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Seasonal

Quoting frndlyfn:

You didnt specify whether you meant seasonal, animal or food allergies.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
He's almost 6

Quoting sita5184:

As an allergy sufferer it doesn't sound like allergies to me but either way try taking him in a steamy bathroom to see if he clears up at all. How old is he? For congestion I am asking a fan of boiling water and vinegar. I ask age because with excessive saliva maybe he's teething if he's small. Definitely sounds like something going on with his ears, too.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Signs and Symptoms

If your child develops a "cold" at the same time every year, seasonal allergies might be to blame. Allergy symptoms, which usually come on suddenly and last as long as a person is exposed to a particular allergen, can include:

• sneezing
  • itchy nose and/or throat
  • nasal congestion
  • clear, runny nose
  • coughing

These symptoms often come with itchy, watery, and/or red eyes, which is called allergic conjunctivitis. If your child has wheezing and shortness of breath in addition to these symptoms, the allergy may have progressed into asthma.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
He had all of that in past years in addition to this that he has now. But this year it's just the saliva, throat, and ears being plugged. What's the deal? Should I make the trip to the doctor?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Signs and Symptoms

If your child develops a "cold" at the same time every year, seasonal allergies might be to blame. Allergy symptoms, which usually come on suddenly and last as long as a person is exposed to a particular allergen, can include:

• sneezing
  • itchy nose and/or throat
  • nasal congestion
  • clear, runny nose
  • coughing

These symptoms often come with itchy, watery, and/or red eyes, which is called allergic conjunctivitis. If your child has wheezing and shortness of breath in addition to these symptoms, the allergy may have progressed into asthma.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Could you call the doctor and see what they say before driving in?   To me it sounds like a possible ear infection or something of that nature with the sore throat and hurting ears.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
They don't give advice over the phone. His ears don't hurt they're just plugged. We go through this annually but usually he also has a stuffed nose, watery eyes, a cough, sneezing, a pounding headache, and wakes up at night with a croup like cough and gasping for air. Lots of er trips for breathing treatments and they never could decide if he had asthma.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Could you call the doctor and see what they say before driving in?   To me it sounds like a possible ear infection or something of that nature with the sore throat and hurting ears.

la_bella_vita
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I don't know but I'm having the same symptoms and I figured it was allergies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)