Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bumpers?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 7 months old and lately has been rocking and rolling in her crib. Sometimes she pushes off the one end and hits her head on the other (not enought to cry), I have also found her arms and legs getting stuck, I have debated getting bumpers since she is old enough to roll around and I don't think she would get stuck and not be able to breath. Do you guys think it would be ok?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crystalplus1
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Ds had one in since he was born......he was a very active baby, and after a few nights of him scooting up to the end and pressing his head into the bars and crying his eyes out i put it in there. I think your dd will be fine with one.

meg4763
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I had one with my son from the very beginning. Now, for dd's crib I bought a mesh, breathable one bc of the new regulations and to be on the safe side. It will keep her from sticking her arms or legs between the bars, but it is completely breathable in case she sticks her face near it. :)

Rosebud333776
by Trish on May. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
As long as she is able to sit up and crawl, she will be safe with bumper pads. If you are still nervous about it they sell the "breath-thru" type.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

AAP no longer recommends them. We have a very active child, but I am too paranoid to use them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I didn't use them.

LindaClement
by on May. 25, 2013 at 3:27 AM

At that age, she's old enough to use bumpers as a ladder to crawl over the rails and fall out.

I vote 'no.'

sissy502
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I use one for my little gal.

CPS brought me an 8 mo old baby, a crib w/bedding that included a bumper.

nnyfer
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My DD is 2 1/2 and I had to actually put fabric around the back of her crib because she likes to rub her feet on stuff when she's trying to fall asleep, so she would stick her feet under the bumpers and get her feet caught in the rails. I pulled it up from the bottom on either side of the back rail and velcrowed the top and now she can't stick her feet in there. But when she was a baby and didn't do that, we used bumpers. I was more worried about her bumping her head than I was her managing to get her head stuck under them... so we used bumpers from day one and only stopped using them when we converted her crib to toddler bed. We tucked them in a bit so she wouldn't get stuck in them... they didn't really move much for her to be able to get her head in there anyway.

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

A regular bumper?...No.  A breathable bumper? ...yes.

Something like this...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BreathableBaby-Breathable-Safer-Bumper-Fits-All-Cribs-White/8154350

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I didn't like them bc ds would stand on them and use it as leverage to try and escape.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)