Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Some Good Advice Please......

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

This totally isn't my best topic with a soon to be seven year old girl. So I am asking for some advice on what I should tell her.

Here it goes.... My daughter is totally into boys especially this one boy and he absolutely loves her too. They googly eye at each other all the time. He blushes when I see him looking at her and he keeps giving her little notes, stickers (boy and girl), gifts on holidays, and hugs her all the time. Ok these things don't bother me to much. Here is what does. She told me the other day that he asked her at the playground if they had enough time outside would she kiss him. I say, Do What......  She just had this holding back grin on her face like they have before or did. But she continued to tell me they didn't. OK..... Well I've heard her say many of times she can't top thinking about him. Uhm.... Baby you are only six, you have your whole life ahead of you. School first boys Second and later in life. His parents know that he loves my daughter and they think it is cute. Well it is, but I don't want it to get to far.

This is what the other kids are saying at school to them. Singing the _____ and ______ sitting in the tree K I S S I N G. First comes the........ Well you know the rest of the song. They also ask them do they kiss and hug and so on...... These are 1st graders now. What are these parents teaching their kids these days. So know I have the little boys name written all over play set outside and on her dresser in her room. (Which I made her clean that up) I told her if she had any question about anything to let me know I rather her hear it from me rather then the other kids.  I don't want her to be one of those teen moms or anything. I want her to be successful in life and to be smart about her decisions.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
That sounds way too serious for a 6 year old. I would keep them apart for awhile, create a lot of distance. Also explain that it's ok to have friends that are boys but not boyfriends. Kissing should in no way be tolerated, even the hugs should be stopped. Occasional hugs are one thing but not all the time.
Femommy
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I'm not sure when they have time for hugs and kisses other then on the playground because they are in different classes. They see eachother at lunch they have to stay with their class and at the table. I'm getting my info from her and her classmates.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I think they are too serious for 7 year olds.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Bumping so you get more advice. :)
mommyof24ever
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM
That's deff very young....but I can't say much. My husband was 14 and I was 15 when we met.....15 and 16 when we started dating. Married now with 2 boys...and are very successful. I would recommend close monitoring. Good guys are hard to find maybe she found him early. Bur none the less.....she is still too young. But I wouldnt make him not be friends with her. All mommies want their child to find someone to treat them right. They might have a future ....maybe not. But it will make for cute memories ad years go by. Just keep a close eye and I would bring it to the teachers attention so she can be aware and have eyes open when ur eyes can't be there.
mom_dl6
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I'd say nip that in the bud now that's WAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO YOUNG for that kind of behavior that would be a red flag for me !

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I volunteered at a pre-school, this kind of thing was pretty common. Just tell her it's fine to like each other but no hugging or kissing until she's whatever age you decide. And let him know the same thing.

yperez0209
by on May. 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM

OP: I agree with what this mom is telling you with one small exception I would not have them hugging at all. There's no need for it especially after what has been going on. 

I do find it strange that they are acting this way so early on. Someone older must be encouraging this or telling them that it's cute, and it's not. Your little girl will get made fun of by other kids who, like the two of them, can't possibly understand what they are feeling. 

I always tell my kids that there bodies are to be respected. Kisses are only given on the cheek and hugs are ok between us, the parents and there siblings. I'm not too crazy about my kids being to huggy kissy even with extended family, I have some experiences growing up that makes me feel this way. I explain to them that only moms and dads kiss on the lips when they are married... no need to explain further at this age. 

Quoting huntersmama711:

That sounds way too serious for a 6 year old. I would keep them apart for awhile, create a lot of distance. Also explain that it's ok to have friends that are boys but not boyfriends. Kissing should in no way be tolerated, even the hugs should be stopped. Occasional hugs are one thing but not all the time.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

blank stare

CV3
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I dunno sounds like me and my friends at that age. We had boyfriends, we kissed hugged, cuddled whatever. Only at school. It was no big deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)