Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sippy cups

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 14 Replies
So I introduced my 6 1/2 month old to a sippy cup today just to see what she would do and she just grabbed it and started drinking from it! It's a NUK with the soft top and she loved it. But I need to know the rules of the sippy. Lol. How often do I let her drink from it? Is it okay to put formula in it? Stuff like that. Thank you ladies!
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I always kept water in my kids sippy cups and just let them have them all day long. Occasionally I would put juice in it as well. I never did formula in the sippy cup, but I do not think there would be anything wrong with it.

Mylittlelovely
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I just don't know the rules for water and juice and stuff either. New mommy. She has been having puréed since 4 1/2 months old that I make at home. And I just found out some water after 6 months was okay... Lord I need some help!
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

never knew there were rules per se for sippy cups other than the obvious keep beverages chilled in fridge when she is not drinking from it or you will end up wiht formula cheese somewhere in your household.  You can put anything in it you want.  Make sure she is still getting the needed amount of formula since most sippies are smaller than the average bottle.  You could safely do one sippy of water as well to get her used to plain water.   DD liked and still does like the water ice cold.

Momofmenagerie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Get rid off the bottles today, mama! Everything can go in a sippy. Congrats on the magical and quick transition! That's awesome!
Mylittlelovely
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
She dinks 7oz bottles, when I give her purées I give her 2-3oz and 5oz of formula... Is that right?
Mylittlelovely
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
The NUK sippies only go to 5oz.... Any other bigger sippies that you all would recommend? She loves that soft top!
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Just do the 5oz for now and just fill it more often as needed for her.  As she get older there will be larger and more fun sippy cups to explore.  My dd is 7 so i am a bit rusty for which sippy cups are best for an infant.  The soft spout ones i know are best since they mold the easiest to the baby's mouth.

JTE11
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You're only supposed to put water in sippy cups because of the dental issues (cavities) they can cause. I did put some breast milk into DD's on occasion but she never really liked it. We got rid of them once DD learned to drink from a straw at around 11 months.

mommieof4.2011
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Toys r us and babies r us sells some wonderful sippy cups that my 1 year old preemies love. Introducing a sippy cup when you feel she is comfortable is wonderful. The more you introduce her, when it comes time to break her from a bottle then it will go smoother. You can add formula, water, juice..whatever you are comfortable giving her in the sippy cup. Alot of people say do not give them anything but water in a sippy cup, well when they get broke from a bottle to a sippy how do they expect them to get anything to drink? The sippy cup causes cavities only if you give them juice constantly and let them walk around with it in their mouth all day long, a bottle could do the same thing. If you give her juice at this age just do half juice half water, so that way its not so hard on her tummy. You do what you feel is right, you cant go wrong.

Mylittlelovely
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Wow, you pretty much just said everything the pediatricians nurse said! I JUST got off the phone with her. She said its awesome if I can get her on a sippy only now if she will take it! She also informed me I can now give her teething buscuits and stuff that dissolve in the mouth before she swallows! I just recently found recipes on wholsomebabyfoods.com too that I can not wait to make! But I'm going to try to hold in my excitement for a couple of days before a road trip (11hours) to introduce her to those so she will be entertained! Thank you ladies!!!

Quoting mommieof4.2011:

Toys r us and babies r us sells some wonderful sippy cups that my 1 year old preemies love. Introducing a sippy cup when you feel she is comfortable is wonderful. The more you introduce her, when it comes time to break her from a bottle then it will go smoother. You can add formula, water, juice..whatever you are comfortable giving her in the sippy cup. Alot of people say do not give them anything but water in a sippy cup, well when they get broke from a bottle to a sippy how do they expect them to get anything to drink? The sippy cup causes cavities only if you give them juice constantly and let them walk around with it in their mouth all day long, a bottle could do the same thing. If you give her juice at this age just do half juice half water, so that way its not so hard on her tummy. You do what you feel is right, you cant go wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)