Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce bills. got some questions!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

ok i've been divorced now for over a year. my ex and i had some bills that the court has said he has to take care of, including comed, peoples gas, us cellular and a $13,000 IL tollway violations. only problem is they are in my name only and when tried to change it to his like the court told me to do they say they can only add his name. so does that mean that my credit is going to be bad until he pays it and i know he will never, he had told me that he was going to file backruptcy but he can't file those ones without me filing to and i refuse.  so has anyone had any problems like this and can help me out?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marimaru
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, you are probably screwed.  You can show them the court order that he has to pay them, but they won't likely take them off your credit until he does.

geekymom08
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I like the previous reply! Get documentation from the court on what he is to be responsible for and see if they will change it to just him.
mindwarped88
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

yeah i did that and they can't just take my name off. it kinda sucks.

Quoting geekymom08:

I like the previous reply! Get documentation from the court on what he is to be responsible for and see if they will change it to just him.

geekymom08
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I'm sorry. Have you considered contacting a lawyer to see what your options are now that your name can't come off these accounts and its ruining your credit?

Quoting mindwarped88:

Quoting geekymom08:

mindwarped88
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

not yet but i will. just wanted to see what others have gone thru or no anyone that gone thru it. idk it just sounded kinda fishy is all

Quoting geekymom08:

I'm sorry. Have you considered contacting a lawyer to see what your options are now that your name can't come off these accounts and its ruining your credit?

Quoting mindwarped88:

Quoting geekymom08:

ColieO
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM
How the hell do you rack up $13k in tolls?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mindwarped88
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

my ex desided that it was a good idea to go thru the ipass without the ipass in my car.

geekymom08
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM
It sounds strange to me that a company or what not will add someone's name to the account but wont remove you as the responsible party even if a court orders it and you have proof. I hope you find your answers and that you are able to get your name off of his sinking boat! Good luck!
Quoting mindwarped88:

not yet but i will. just wanted to see what others have gone thru or no anyone that gone thru it. idk it just sounded kinda fishy is all

Quoting geekymom08:

Quoting mindwarped88:

Quoting geekymom08:

mindwarped88
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM

thanks.

Quoting geekymom08:

It sounds strange to me that a company or what not will add someone's name to the account but wont remove you as the responsible party even if a court orders it and you have proof. I hope you find your answers and that you are able to get your name off of his sinking boat! Good luck!
Quoting mindwarped88:

Quoting geekymom08:

Quoting mindwarped88:

Quoting geekymom08:

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
A company is not required to change names based on divorce decree. If he doesn't pay, you are obligated to pay debt in your name. You can then file for a judgement against him (ie small claims court)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)