Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick with a newborn? Advice?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son will be two weeks old tomorrow. Ever since last night I have been feeling off. I keep coughing and I can tell I'm going to have a sore throat. It's nothing major now, just uncomfortable but it usually gets alot worse and I usually lose my voice. 

I just gargled salt water to maybe stop it befor it gets really bad, but do you have any other advice? 

Can I get my son sick? Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM
No, they are still protected by your immune system .
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Garlic, zinc, vitamin c... keep hydrated, keep nursing.   You will pass anti-bodies to him.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you nursing the baby?   A tsp or Tsp of honey will also help soothe a cough/sore throat naturally w/o using meds.   If it gets too bad, go to doctor to make sure it isnt something more serious like strep or something.

Nena70
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Use good handwashing , cough and sneeze away from baby. Take care of yourself , drink warm water or tea and rest.

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes,be on the lookout for strep.Its going around.Me my hubby and daughter all have it right now.I take some Advil for sore throats.

jojo_star
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Are you nursing? If you are, he should be fine, you are passing your anti-bodies to him. If you aren't, you could get him sick, but just take care of yourself, and take his illness as it comes, or doesn't. Make sure you are hydrated, drink orange juice, and I wouldn't take any tylenol or anything for a fever, because that can hide a spiking fever. 

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Oh man, this is why you shouldn't use Cafemom for medical advice...

First, don't give a newborn honey. It can carry botulism: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

Second, when breastfeeding, you only transfer andibodies/resistance/immunities to your child that you already have.  So if this bug is making you sick, you aren't immune to it, and therefore your baby won't be immune. Breastmilk doen't magically make babies immune to everything - just those specific germs you yourself have resistance to. 

That said, lots of newborns get exposed to minor colds and such. Keep a close eye on him, but he'll probably be fine. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
2 moms liked this
First of all, that poster was suggesting honey for the mothers sore throat. Not to give the baby. Second, you are wrong about antibody production and breastfeeding. Anytime you are sick, your body immediately starts producing antibodies against the virus/bacteria. Those antibodies you are producing for the very sickness you are fighting off at the time is passed to your nursling. Breastmilk is more effective than antibiotics to a newborn. Educate yourself about breastmilk. It's amazing.

Quoting Karen_S:

First, don't give a newborn honey. It can carry botulism: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

Second, when breastfeeding, you only transfer andibodies/resistance/immunities to your child that you already have.  So if this bug is making you sick, you aren't immune to it, and therefore your baby won't be immune. Breastmilk doen't magically make babies immune to everything - just those specific germs you yourself have resistance to. 

That said, lots of newborns get exposed to minor colds and such. Keep a close eye on him, but he'll probably be fine. 

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I think that poster was saying mom she take honey, not the baby.  Mom is the one who has the sore throat.  lol  You are correct about the no honey for babies thing though. 

Also....This is from Healthchildren.org which is a division of American Academy of Pediatrics...

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/breastfeeding/pages/When-Mom-Gets-Sick-Minor-Illnesses-and-Infections-While-Breastfeeding.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

Ages & Stages

When Mom Gets Sick: Minor Illnesses and Infections While Breastfeeding

Article Body

Chances are that sometime during the course of breastfeeding you will develop a cold, the flu, a bacterial infection, or other routine illness. In such a situation, you may wonder if the baby will acquire the illness via breastfeeding.

Whether breastfeeding or formula-feeding, your infant has been exposed to you and your illness by the time your symptoms develop. Breastfeeding provides added protection and treatment via the milk. It is best to keep breastfeeding, so that the antibodies your body has produced will pass through your milk to protect your baby. If you stop breastfeeding when cold or flu symptoms appear, you actually reduce your baby's protection and increase the chance of his getting sick or having a more severe illness if he does get sick. Even with more serious illnesses-such as gallbladder surgery or a severe infection-you can usually continue breastfeeding or, at most, interrupt feeding for only a brief time. If you are unsure whether a particular illness or infection affects breastfeeding, ask your pediatrician for advice.

Quoting Karen_S:

CarlyK23
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

If your Breastfeeding then not likely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)