Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Weird chest pain

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or have any ideas about it- for the last couple years I will occasionally get pain along my sternum. Usually I feel it when I bend down to pick something up. Even something as simple as a pair of pants. It almost feels muscular. But it is very SORE. Sometimes I can feel it when I take a deep breath. I don't have insurance, so I'm not sure what I should try to do or if I should have them try to figure out when it is. It all of a sudden hit today and its allergy season, so my sneezing is not making it feel better :)
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

i get that sometimes, but i also have chronic acid reflux

newwifenmom
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I have weird pain in my chest but its different from yours, I just kept typing in symptoms after the cardiologist said nothing was critical. The only thing I came up with is precordial catch syndrome. Maybe you can google your symptoms but don't let lack of money keep you from seeing a doctor if it gets worse.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM

It could be anything from nerve pain from sleeping wrong to an infection to acid reflux to a heart problem. Your best bet is to go to a clinic or something and be seen. I understand you don't have insurance, but this is one case where you need to be seen to determine what's wrong and whether or not it's serious. ((HUGS))

MentorMom1
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Is it chronic? Some years ago I had a horrible pain in my chest while Christmas shopping. I thought I was having a heart attack, the pain was so bad. I ran in to my primary, who was just leaving for the day. He quickly examined me and said it wasn't my heart, but costochondritis.  "Costochondritis is inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum."

He gave me an anti-inflammatory, and said to rest. It had to go away by itself. It has come back about every two to three years, and lasts several weeks. It's sooooo painful.  Here's a link. Still, I know it's a royal pain not to have insurance. That's where I am right now, trying to stay well. Good luck. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm

Bmat
by Barb on May. 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

The EMT who taught my CPR classes said that don't let something like this go, get it checked, then you'll know.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

It could be anything from nerve pain from sleeping wrong to an infection to acid reflux to a heart problem. Your best bet is to go to a clinic or something and be seen. I understand you don't have insurance, but this is one case where you need to be seen to determine what's wrong and whether or not it's serious. ((HUGS))

MentorMom1
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I agree that it would be best to be seen. Is there a low-cost clinic where you could go - just to rule out the bad stuff?

Quoting Cafe Steph:

wickedstepjenn
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Sounds like acid reflux but its not good to let chest area pains just slide. I'd find a clinic or low cost dr. It could be a heart issue never know.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Hubby gets that when his back and neck are out of whack. Chiropractor fixes it everytime.
He was checked by a cardiologist just in case and he's fine.
Rosebud333776
by Trish on May. 28, 2013 at 5:19 AM
It sounds like what i use to experience to a T. My Doc said it is not serious and not totally uncommon among women. I remember sneezing was horribÄe (just don't hold them in). That will cause the pain to get worse. Hugs.
arwalters
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 6:43 AM
This is exactly what my symptoms are when I get pleurisy infections in one or both of my lungs. It's usually viral and has to run it's course and the only meds that work for pain are anti-inflammatories or muscle relaxers. The hospital/Dr wouldn't do much, check oxygen levels and maybe do a chest xray to make sure the lung isn't partially collapsed or have blebs on it that can cause a spontaneous pneumothorax or emphysema but it sounds mild so probably just Advil or aleve for the pain and should go away in few days. If it gets worse and u feel like u can't take deep breaths w/o extreme pain then get to Dr/hospital. It can also occur in ur back, just depends where the infection is
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)