Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Make her earn the money to replace the school book.

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

So today was my oldest dd last day of school.. She comes home with a note saying she owes 60 dollars for a school book that she lost.. Apparently she lost it near the beginning of school and neither she nor the school let me know that it had happened.  She is pretty bad at taking care of things in general so I have come up with a plan.  She is almost 12.. She is able to do some house cleaning and light yard work.. I have asked our families  that if they have any kind of work she can do, to hire her and pay her what they think the job is worth.  I think if she has to earn the money to replace the book herself maybe she will learn to take care of things and the value of money.. I feel like I can tell her 60 dollars is a lot all day long but she has no concept of how hard money can be to earn, and how much 60 really is in comparison to the 5-10 she usually has acess to at any one time.. What do you guys think.. do you think having to earn the replacement money (which dont get me wrong we could pay but its the point that we shouldnt have to if she had taken care of the book in the first place) will make her more responsible and teach her the value of money? 

We also had a big talk about the fact that she has known about this all year and about a week ago they started telling her it had to be paiid and she waited till school was over before I found out.. She cant start school next year unless it has been paid.. That if she had come to me and told me she had made a mistake  and needed help then while we wouldnt have been happy about the whole thing, she would have been in a lot less trouble for being honest and not hiding it than she is now after waiting so long.   Hoping that if she understands she can tell us anything, that it doesnt mean there wont be trouble but that being upfront will keep it from being as bad.. that maybe if they do something really dumb like drinking and needing a ride home instead of driving or getting pregnant (god forbid) that if she comes to us with the problem we can handle it better.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Well my questions are one

Howd she get her work done if book was lost?

And two?

Why does she have access to 5-10 $ at any given time
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

That sounds good to me.  DD is 7 and so far 5 dollars is alot of money to her.  I would be upset with the teacher for not letting me know sooner by email or phone call since children like to hide notes from their parents.  I have been trying to teach her that letting us know about mistakes upfront will be easier for everyone to find solutions and hiding/lying about it will result in a longer loss of privileges.  I would also have her use her allowance or any free money towards the replacement book.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Sounds good. (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

saphiraka
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I guess the school gave her another book since I have never heard anything from them either that it was lost.

As to the 5-10 dollars I meant it as she has never had more than 5-10 dollars at any time shes ever had money.. Prob would have been worded better that way.. Usually its birthdays or christmas that she gets any money and then usually not much as shes at the age family still buys presents.. (Teens they tend to give cash)

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Well my questions are one

Howd she get her work done if book was lost?

And two?

catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM

my 10 year old generally has $50-100 a any point, she earns the money, saves for what she wants and banks some for college also. do your kids not have their own money?

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Erica

Mom to
Caterina-11
Gabriella-9.5
MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Only if given to her.

But she doesnt get money for doing thins around my house

Quoting catngabsmom:

my 10 year old generally has $50-100 a any point, she earns the money, saves for what she wants and banks some for college also. do your kids not have their own money?

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

GleekingOut
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Honestly I agree with this completely. I would also tell her though that she is grounded from every "fun" thing until she has this $60. Not being able to begin the next grade until the book is replaced is very serious IMO. I would make her plan out an entire schedule of how she was going to earn back this money in my deadline (so - by the end of the first month of summer vacation) and if she didn't get it by then I would start charging some interest on the "loan" that she has out. but that's just me. 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:59 AM

My children have to earn money for things all the time, they are 9 and 6. Especially if it something like that book. They were acting up in a movie the other day and I told them if we have to leave, then they would be earning the ticket money back. 

GleekingOut
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 3:11 AM

What movie was it? and did they actually want to be at the theatre?

Quoting Mamamanic:

My children have to earn money for things all the time, they are 9 and 6. Especially if it something like that book. They were acting up in a movie the other day and I told them if we have to leave, then they would be earning the ticket money back. 

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM

She doesn't earn an allowance you can take it out of?

Either way it's fair to make her pay for it. She is definitely old enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN