Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 2 week old son is sick.. Advice?

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

I made a post last night about myself having a sore throat getting sick. Well now my son is sick I think. I am breastfeeding, and I drank so much orange juice it's not even funny. I don't think he has a temp but he has been sneezing so much today. He keeps coughing and it sounds like a sharp cough, if that makes sense? He also has green boogers:( My doctor isn't open until Tuesday. Any advice? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

How is his breathing overall?  Do you have an urgent care clinic that is open in mean time?  As long as he is breathing ok and still eating, I would not worry too much.  If a fever develops or he is struggling to breathe get him to ER.

Samantha.Stetka
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Overall it is alright. Its kind of raspy and he will cough and its sounds deep like it hurts. He is eating though.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How is his breathing overall?  Do you have an urgent care clinic that is open in mean time?  As long as he is breathing ok and still eating, I would not worry too much.  If a fever develops or he is struggling to breathe get him to ER.

CafeMom Tickers
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this
The doctor will tell you saline drops, suction, and a humidifier with the door closed in the room he's in.

I will tell you to all of those things plus lay off the orange juice b/c of it's acidity or you may be back here asking how to deal with a monster diaper rash and reflux.

Good luck to you both.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Newborns, especially still nursing rarely get sick until six months. I'd say it's just new nasal passages opening and MAYBE a slight tad of what you have.

But drs.will tell you saline drops, syringe. And moist air ( humidifier )

Urgent care do not take children under two ( at least here) they aren't insured or taught how. Wouldn't waste my time there unless they can help you.
momof2js946
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

If you are going to do saline drops, definately avoid getting it in his eyes. 

A humidifier in the room where he's sleeping will help with the breathing.

irishmama1007
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Try a humidifier, I prefer cool mist and keeping him propped up so he can breathe better. I put blankets or cloth diapers under 1 end of the mattress to elevate 1 side slightly. I 2nd the saline and suction. He will probably hate it but if it helps clear any congestion it is worth it.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM
The best thing you can do for him is nurse nurse nurse! Encourage coughing with a steamy bathroom and use a cool mist humidifier at night. Unless he develops a fever or stops nursing, I would wait until Tuesday to see if he improves.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Nurse and cuddle and nurse and cuddle. Wear him, let him sleep upright on your chest so he can breathe if he needs too.

Try bm or saline in his nose, and steam or vicks plug ins if needed. Just hang in there!

andreamarie
by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Check the urgent care and if necessary ER. Babys that litlle . a littile caution can never go far enough.

I hope he feels better soon, and you too mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)