Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How big is the average kindergartener? (worrying DD might be a little too little)

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 141 Replies
2 moms liked this

My DD is 5, she will be a month shy of 5 and a half when she starts kindergarten. Today, while visiting a shop that had the same toilet that the kindergarten rooms around my area has, DD wanted to go pee. She climbed up and tried to go, but fell in and scrapped her back and hurt her butt.

It instantly made me realize how tiny she really is. DD is 38 inches tall and 29 lbs. This, on top of being rather socially behind (we live in the middle of no where, with no neighbours, and I don't have a car, so she doesn't spend much time with other kids. Maybe 5 times a year) has me having major second thoughts about kindergarten this year.

If we don't do kinder this year, she will at least go to a half day preschool to ease into the transition. But, with her age and intelligence, I'm also uncertain with this.

So I am curious, what's the average size of a kindergartener? Did anyone with petite little ones have trouble in kindergarten due to size? Thanks!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM
5 moms liked this

DD had a friend who was about that size in kindergarten when the rest of them were about 40 lbs or more. DD had to learn how to hold herself up since she has a small rear.  Is there any way you can talk to a teacher about your concerns?   My dd never went to preschool due to it being so expensive but she fit in at kindergarten within a month or so aside from her delays.  She is now moving on to 2nd grade next year right on track.   Over the summer I would try to find ways to be more active in finding childrens'activities or going to a park so she can get social time with her peers.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

My daughter will be starting Kindergarten in the fall and she is about 40inches tall and about 38ish lbs.

Bluecalm
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM
She is small. That's about the same as my almost 3 year old is and he's being followed by the doctor for his size. What does her doctor say? My 5 year was small when he started, weighed about 36 pounds. I wouldn't have considered holding him back from K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ravenstears
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

her doctor said she is completely healthy and to listen to my instincts sense I know her best.

Saharra
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM
That is petite! My 3 (almost 4) yr old is 38lbs..... My 5 1/2 yr old is 43lbs. He will be in kindergarten this year. They usually do kindergarten testing before school starts here to see if they are ready. My son was ready academically last year, but not physically (he wasn't able to do some of the stuff kindergarteners needed) . So he went to a K5 class run through the school. It was still 5 full says a week, and they learned things, but it isn't quite as structured.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM
3 moms liked this

lol Idk.

I have one tiny kid and one bohemeth. 

They're at both ends of 'average.'

Your girl is fine.  :)

mjande4
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd be more concerned about the lack of social skills, then the size.  Together, however, they scream "wait another year".  Good luck!

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Well...TBH, she is really small for a 5 year old.  It doesn't mean she is "too little".  Are you and your DH on the smaller side?  I have a son who will be starting Kindergarten this fall and he is 44" and weighs almost 40 lbs.  No quite.  I have a 2.5 year old who is actually closer in size to your DD.  He outweighs her though by about 2 or 3 lbs.  I don't think she is going to have issues in Kinder because of her size.  But she might have social issues if she hasn't been around other kids except maybe 5 times a year.

the.warden
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I know in my ds's preshchool class this year there were plenty of "little" ones.. My kid is the biggest kid in class weighing in at 68lbs and 4 foot tall. If you have concerns you should deal with them now instead of waiting. Because once she gets to kindergarten she will be on her own. You need to help her figure things out so she isn't too overwhelmed when you're not there.
.stella.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM
My dd is very small as well at 32 lbs and shes a shorty. :) she will be starting kinder this year too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN