Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi ladies! I need some advice on my 13 month old.

Recently (within the last week or so) my 13 month old ds has been fighting ALL sleep. He still takes a nap or 2 during the day (and needs it, lol) but lately after I get him down and he's good and asleep after just a few minutes he pops his little head back up and nap time is doomed. He'll do this over and over IF I am lucky enough to get him back asleep. I've tried laying down with him, ignoring him, soothing him back to sleep.. nothing works. Then bedtime is basically the same way. He fights it until the wee hours then is up with the sun which is so exhausting as you can imagine. He tosses and turns and never settles for more than maybe an hour or two.

He does have a routine for bed. It's the same one that i've used with my now 4 year old and it still works for him. It's worked with my 13 month old up until recently. Bath, story, cuddle/quiet time, sleep. I did take him off of formula, but he still takes a bottle to sleep. He can't stomach milk so he has more table food and then water or juice in his bottles. I wonder if Ishould put him back on formula?

Thanks!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (11-14):
sdbcoach
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I agree on the taking a nap out during the day. Whole milk substitute good too. Routine, routine, routine - sounds like you are doing that. When you lay him back down do NOT have eye contact. Repeat the same mantra (whatever you want - say, "Time for sleep..." & nothing more, soft rub on back & leave. You may have to do it a ton of times, but don't be the one to give up - or he's gotcha! Good luck, never give up, Mom...

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Yea, he needs a milk source.   If he can't tollerate cows milk... have you tried goats?  

WillTimsmom
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

My DS quit taking naps when he was 14 months old.  I could get him to "rest" for an hour by setting an alarm in his room and giving him some books and small toys in his bed.  But he wouldn't sleep.  At night I was lucky if he slept 8 hours.  He didn't sleep throught the night until he was 2! 

Even to this day, he only sleeps about 6 hours a night and doesn't need more than that.  He use to drive me crazy with his non-sleep schedule. 

My 2nd son was a sleep-a-holic.  Two naps a day til he started school, and 12 hours a night.  Even now, he'll sleep 8 - 10 hours if he doesn't have to get up for anything (school, work).

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I feel bad for you! Moms need a break! I don't know, my guess is teething. You could try a little tylenol and/ or frozen washcloth he can chew on. I would make him stay in his crib for nap time and bedtime. Don't be going in there and picking him up right away, let him fuss or cry a while. He needs to sleep too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured