Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I unknowingly called someone while arguing with my son. Now what?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son (9) had a friend over. Our entire family was trying to quickly get ready for an event that we had to be at. My son was being VERY uncooperative and had went outside after getting changed and started messing with our waterhose after being instructed not to. This was all after he had already thrown a fit about changing from play cothes and getting ready. He had been told several times. I started yelling at him and brought him inside. His friend and our other son were still outside. So I was furious and lost control. I am prepared for the heat I will get for this on here. I told him to Get his @ss in the house and get ready. He continued to argue that he wanted to wear muddy, wet shoes to the event. I then told him to get his damn shoes on that he couldn't go looking like a "dirtbag".  He continued to fuss and I know at some point I asked him "Why in the hell he was acting the way he was?"  He got the shoes on, I knew we were running late but everyone calmed down. I went outside with my son, we gathered his friend and our other son and got in the car. When we dropped the friend off his dad asked if I had been yelling at our son. I was confused but asked if he meant at our house. He said "Yes, you must have dialed us, I heard you yelling and just figured you would be bringing him home soon". The dad was laughing about it when he asked. I explained that we had somewhere to be, and that our son wasn't cooperating. I didn't explain that his son was outside and saw NONE of it. I don't know whether to bring this up when we see them again in a few days or not. These are our friends. Not extremely close but folks we have known as neighbors for several years. If I had called someone else on accident I don't even know that I would be worried about this at all. I know that my husband and I are good parents. I am extremely involved in my childrens' lives. I don't have arguements with my son like this oftenand cursing is not a habit. I had just had enough. This family, however, is religious and well-known in the community. I have been sick over this all day. Just looking for opinions on how to approach this family...

by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM
3 moms liked this

IF the dad was upset about it, he wouldnt laugh.   He probably has had those days as well.  I am sure it will be one of the worst butt dialings in your lifetime.

judi111
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM

My oldest has ADHD and I have lost it alot!! But I know the embarrassment! If anything I would send them a email or just give them a quick phone call to ease your mind:)

allycally
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I'm sure he has lost his cool before too
momof2inoh120
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. My mom told me the same thing. I tend to think this family is "perfect". The dad did laugh. He even said he didn't want to hold us up anymore because he didn't want to hear it from me! lol I just hope they don't think it's a common occurance in our home. Getting upset and yelling is one thing. I am mostly disappointed in the words I chose :/

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think if he laughed it off then don't sweat it. It happens sometimes.

**Chat with us ANONYMOUSLY!**

Joelskatysmom
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

To be honest, I've 'laughed' stuff off before just to be polite. If it bothers you that bad, mention it and apologize. As most said, I don't think it's really necessary....but if it will help you feel better...

mom-o-7
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Why do you feel so guilty?  Normally guilty feelings are because you have done something wrong.  I think in your heart you know you shouldn't have talked to your son the way you did or you wouldn't feel bad.  I'm not bashing you I promise, I've lost control plenty of times in the past and have said worse things than you did!  I know my guilty feelings got the best of me at times and I couldn't imagine someone hearing what I've said before.  I wouldn't worry about the neighbor, he seemed cool with it, I wouldn't bring it up again.  When I lose it I feel bad for a few days, talk to my kids and apologize and move on...I don't think what you said was that bad btw but to me it sounds like you feel pretty bad about what you said or you wouldn't be worried..

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Next time you see him give a short apology for calling when you lost your temper.  Tell him it's not a usual occurrance adn that youre embarrassed that he had to hear it.  Then, move on and forget about it.  The apology is more for you than for him...he probably doesn't care unless you were out of control.  I think everyone loses their patience with their kids once in a while!

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I think if the truth be known all of us have blown a gasket at one time or another. Don't beat yourself up too bad. You're not alone. Peace

momof2inoh120
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I think you're right. I did feel bad about what I said to start with. Having someone else hear it was mortifying, I guess. Like you, I blow up, usually feel bad at night after the little devil is asleep and looking all cute/innocent, apologize and more forward. After talking with another neighbor/friend today I feel much better. She reassured me that she would have laughed it off with me and reminded me that not everything that glitters is gold. While I tend to think this family that overheard is perfect, it probably isn't so. I will be seeing them tomorrow. I think I've decided to not bring it up unless they do!

Quoting mom-o-7:

Why do you feel so guilty?  Normally guilty feelings are because you have done something wrong.  I think in your heart you know you shouldn't have talked to your son the way you did or you wouldn't feel bad.  I'm not bashing you I promise, I've lost control plenty of times in the past and have said worse things than you did!  I know my guilty feelings got the best of me at times and I couldn't imagine someone hearing what I've said before.  I wouldn't worry about the neighbor, he seemed cool with it, I wouldn't bring it up again.  When I lose it I feel bad for a few days, talk to my kids and apologize and move on...I don't think what you said was that bad btw but to me it sounds like you feel pretty bad about what you said or you wouldn't be worried..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN