Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heat rash on an 18 month old?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 18 Replies

My 18 month old DD has a rash on her knees, tummy feet and the back of her legs. her knees are covered in small bumps that are close touhter. she has some on her arms too. does this sound like a heat rash? it has been warm where i am for the last couple of days. oh and she sleeps on her somich too. 

Edit:

okay the doctor called back and they want me to bring her in to get it cheaked out. 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Could be anything mama.

Reaction to heat, grass, food, detergent...
pokemongirl0191
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

yeah that's what the nurse  said when i caled there just waiting for a call from the doctor

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Could be anything mama.

Reaction to heat, grass, food, detergent...

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

It could be a reaction to detergent, food, heat or something outside.  So long as she's not having issues breathing they usually don't get too worried.  My son would break out in hives from head to toe.  They never figured out what it was, but it eventually stopped.  Did they suggest benedryl?  We do local honey to help build us a resistance but that's more for the sneezing and conjestion.  

pokemongirl0191
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

no i'm stil waiting for therm to call back to let me know what they sugget. 

Quoting whoodathunk:

It could be a reaction to detergent, food, heat or something outside.  So long as she's not having issues breathing they usually don't get too worried.  My son would break out in hives from head to toe.  They never figured out what it was, but it eventually stopped.  Did they suggest benedryl?  We do local honey to help build us a resistance but that's more for the sneezing and conjestion.  

LindaClement
by Linda on May. 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Sounds more like contact dermatitis: a reaction to either the fabric or the residue from cleaning chemicals on the fabric.

It's unusual to get heat rash on the outer parts ... backs of knees is normal, but the front isn't.

Try using far less of your normal laundry products (the recommendations are not only for the hardest water, but also because it's the people selling it who are telling you how much they want you to use...) or add an extra rinse. 

It's a good idea to avoid fabric softeners entirely, because of their flammable residue (from sheets or liquids: same stuff either way) which makes even fire-retardant fabrics flammable... and can irritate sensitive skin.

pokemongirl0191
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

right now my parents do our laundry for us i think they use fabric softer but i'm not sure on that could that be the problem?

Quoting LindaClement:

Sounds more like contact dermatitis: a reaction to either the fabric or the residue from cleaning chemicals on the fabric.

It's unusual to get heat rash on the outer parts ... backs of knees is normal, but the front isn't.

Try using far less of your normal laundry products (the recommendations are not only for the hardest water, but also because it's the people selling it who are telling you how much they want you to use...) or add an extra rinse. 

It's a good idea to avoid fabric softeners entirely, because of their flammable residue (from sheets or liquids: same stuff either way) which makes even fire-retardant fabrics flammable... and can irritate sensitive skin.

frstldyhmsch
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Could be anything. I think you should wait to see what the dr says

LindaClement
by Linda on May. 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Absolutely it could be: it's a real skin irritant, even without allergies.

Ask them to try using a lot less of all the products, first: most people overuse laundry products in multiples of four and five times what's necessary for effective cleaning (and fabric softening). Use the least possible, and see if it still cleans adequately... it probably will. If not, add more and see if that's enough.

Little known fact: dryer sheets are pellon (a non-woven interfacing fabric) soaked in fabric softener and dried, making the volume of softener for one load in the dryer less than 10% of the amount recommended on the bottle for use in the washer... so, is 10 times that much really necessary? Unlikely, hey?

Quoting pokemongirl0191:

right now my parents do our laundry for us i think they use fabric softer but i'm not sure on that could that be the problem?

Quoting LindaClement:

pokemongirl0191
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

yeah i called them back and they said they were busy  that they would call back in a few mintues That was an hour ago. 

Quoting frstldyhmsch:

Could be anything. I think you should wait to see what the dr says

pokemongirl0191
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

yeah they use dryer sheets too but this has never been a problem thugh and she hasn't had any new food s and she has been to the park once this week

Quoting LindaClement:

Absolutely it could be: it's a real skin irritant, even without allergies.

Ask them to try using a lot less of all the products, first: most people overuse laundry products in multiples of four and five times what's necessary for effective cleaning (and fabric softening). Use the least possible, and see if it still cleans adequately... it probably will. If not, add more and see if that's enough.

Little known fact: dryer sheets are pellon (a non-woven interfacing fabric) soaked in fabric softener and dried, making the volume of softener for one load in the dryer less than 10% of the amount recommended on the bottle for use in the washer... so, is 10 times that much really necessary? Unlikely, hey?

Quoting pokemongirl0191:

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured