Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you...?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the 9 year old get a cell phone while gone?

Options:

Yes

No

Other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

My 2 girls are supposed to go with their dad in a couple of weeks and will be out of state for 3 weeks. 

I'm debating getting my 9 year old a cheap pre-paid phone to keep in touch with me and with her friends while she's gone but on the other hand I'm not sure if that's too young.

She would ONLY get it when she goes to her dad's. He's proven to be rather... absent-minded... when it comes to taking care of them so I want her to be able to call me if she needs me to come get them for any reason. She also has a few friends I feel she should be able to keep in touch with but I don't think he'd let her call them on his phone.

What would you do?

wedding ticker

by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chirinos
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I feel she should have a phone if she is visiting her dad out of state that way she can contact you if there are problems.
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

We bought a tmobile for my son (10) for events when he is a parties or ball games and we are not there.  it give a bit of peace of mind.  We pay $2/day only on the days he uses it.  $10 often lasts 2-3 months.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

For this situation, yes I would

offrdngal
by Terri on May. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yes!!!  Buy her one of the $10.00 Trac-fones...it doesn't have full internet capabilities and you pay for how many minutes you want.  When the minutes are used up, you can put more minutes on it, or just let it go.

I had to get one for my son, when he was 10 because his dad would never let him use the phone, especially to call me.  I made sure he took it with him every time he went with his dad, for the weekend.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Personally, I think that is a waste of money.  I would just ask their father if they can call a couple of friends.  Your the mother, she could call you.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

i would get them the prepaid phone..

Joelskatysmom
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Get one! Wouldn't think twice about doing it myself!

jojo_star
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I would. 

luvcats406
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I definitely would.  

Karen_S
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes for the safety issue, no for keeping in touch with her friends. IMHO she doesn't need a cell phone for socializing yet. So I'd get her one of those kid phones that you can program to only call a couple of numbers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN