Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Becoming an adoptive mom soon, but I'm recovering from surgery and an injury

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

My husband and I are adopting our first child, a baby girl soon. She is due June 5th. It is really any day now. I broke my ankle badly on May 21st. I had surgery 2 days later. The recovery is tough and I'm using a wheelchair most of the time. The birth mom is 17 year old girl and she been sweet to me since my injury.

I worry about how it will be when we bring our baby girl home. My husband will be the one getting up with her for awhile and I already feel bad about that. I worry about not bonding well with her during the first few months because I will be dealing with my injury.  My dad will be helping us out as well as my husband's mom and stepdad.  Anyone have advice for caring for infants while injured and not being able to do certain things with a baby?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:22 AM

You can do pretty much anything sitting down when it comes to a newborn.  A lot of women recover from surgery during the newborn phase.  I did because I had a c-section.  I wasn't allowed to do even light housework for a month.

Think of it this way you'll be able to spend hours sitting and holding her while everybody else takes care of the house and such :)

Congrats on the adoption!

funhappymom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

You can do pretty much anything sitting down when it comes to a newborn.  A lot of women recover from surgery during the newborn phase.  I did because I had a c-section.  I wasn't allowed to do even light housework for a month.

Think of it this way you'll be able to spend hours sitting and holding her while everybody else takes care of the house and such :)

Congrats on the adoption!

I agree with this. You can spend hours and hours sitting and holding your little girl while others help with the other stuff.

Do you have a name picked out for your daughter?

Congrats on your adoption.

kara85413
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Thank you both for the welcomes. I agree, I can enjoy holding her. But I just worry about my husband getting stressed out. We are naming her Hannah.
LancesMom
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Don't worry! I am sure you all will be fine. If you are in a wheel chair try to lower things to your level. (IE the changing table.) You should have no problem bonding and feeding. You are already sitting. =) Heal fast! Hugs!

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Welcome to motherhood!  It's one of the most rewarding things you'll ever experience and a love that you cannot describe.  

That said, guess how many moms start motherhood? With surgery (c-section or repair from ripping).  Most who deliver without complications are in great pain and often limited on what they can do.  You're lucky that your surgery was a week or so before the baby since you've had time to heal a bit and get used maneuvering.  If you can wear a boot instead of crutches, you'll be able to do most everything.  You'll be shocked at what you'll be able to do when the baby comes.  I know it seems overwhelming and scary, but you'll be just fine!  Share the nightime care with your husband...you don't want to miss out on the sweet time you will have with your precious new baby!  Some of my favorite memories are from midnight feedings and cuddles.  

Congratulations!  

MylittlePea
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM
See if you can donor breastmilk so she's off to the best start and less likely to have stomach upsets :) most of my bonding happens laying down cuddled up together! Remember skin to skin will be the most important. Hop in bed take your shirt off and out her in just a diaper and keep her close same for your husband. It'll make an easier transition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kara85413
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Hi again everyone, our baby girl was born on May 31st. We brought her home on Saturday. Things have been going ok. I'm using a sling with her at times and during night feedings my husbands gets her out of the crib and brings her to me so I can feed her.  The doctors want me to start trying to walk on crutches later this week. I have part of the day off today. My husband is taking Hannah to meet his grandmother who lives an hour and a half away.

cstargarner
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

no advice but how wonderful for you guys to be blessed with being able to care for that sweet baby girl.  We're working on TTC #2 with fertility issues so I understand wanting a baby so bad!  I hope you heal soon and can really enjoy and cherish your new family.  :)

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

You'll be fine. You can feed her and rock her and bathe her.  Best wishes to you! And feel much better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)