Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech delay advice!

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 12 Replies
My DS is almost 33 months and still doesn't speak in complete sentences. He knows a lot of words but doesn't put them together. He repeats everything I say and is very good at following directions. He knows a lot of songs and will song along with me and fill in the blanks when I stop singing. Sometimes I get scared he might be autistic because it does run in our family but he shows no other signs. He loves kids, he loves singing, he doesn't flap his hands or walk on his toes. He is super shy but will usually warm up to people. Has anyone ever experienced this? He is currently getting speech therapy once a week and will begin daycare next week part time. The ladies from EI who came out and evaluated him said that they would not label him as being autistic. They said he only has a speech delay. He has great contact and loves being held. I don't know why I feel so scared! :( has anyone been through this? One thing he does do which I go back and forth about is repeating a lot of what I say (echolalia). But isn't it normal? I mean he doesn't memorize books or songs which I think is common in autistic toddlers. Please help!
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

As a mom with a speech delayed child (he was diagnosed around his 3rd birthday and is now 9, I know the fear of possibly being autistic. I thought about it a lot with him, too.

It doesn't sound like your child is too far behind in speech though. My son was barely talking at all at 3 (talked really well up until he turned 2 and then he regressed-possibly from having a brother at the same time).

I would try to relax and not get too upset. Continue to help your son and focus on how well he is doing. (((HUGS)))

ThinkAgainMom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My sister is a pediatric OT who specializes in autism spectrum disorders.  She works on EI teams all the time.  If there was any suspicion that your son MIGHT be autsitic they would not tell you he was not.  EI for autism is very important and very helpful.  If the only service they see a need for is speech, I would trust them.  If there were others signs, they would send you for an assessment by a developmental pediatrician. Has your son been to one?  If he hasn't and you can't let go of the austism question, make an appointment with one and see what they say.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM
My dd didn't even utter a word until she was 3 (nothing at all). She is 6 now and doesn't stop talking. She does have speech comprehension delays, and is developmentally behind other kids her age, but she will catch up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on May. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

This was my son!  My daughter (God love her) did ALL the talking for him so he did not say anything but "this" until his 3rd birthday when we got him into a speech therapy program hrough the school district that his pediatrician referred.  Now he won't STOP TALKING!! :)  

If you are concerned, talk to your peditrician, but it sounds like your son is just playing games!  The sheer fact that he talks when you do, follows directions, and sings sounds great!  

Quoting crwspringer:

My dd didn't even utter a word until she was 3 (nothing at all). She is 6 now and doesn't stop talking. She does have speech comprehension delays, and is developmentally behind other kids her age, but she will catch up.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I would follow your instincts.  If you think something more might be going on, then talk with your doctor and explain your fears and concerns.  Make sure he listens and understands you or find a different doctor.  Although it's likely nothing more than a speech delay, you're better off feeling comfortable with that diagnosis.

momof6nokc
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If you are very concerned then go ahead and schedule an evaluation through a developmental pediatrician or a child psychologist who specializes in developmental disorders.

An EI team is NOT qualified to diagnose nor rule out an autism spectrum disorder, nor is your pediatrician :o)  An ASD evaluation is generally several hours long and includes questionnaires sent out to you, any teachers your child has, and your child's current therapists. 

If you need an eval to put your mind at ease or if you feel you might be missing some important information then, by all means, do it!

**Just call me Stuart**

momof6nokc
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM

It is an inaccurate stereotype that children with autism are not affectionate. 

As well, many children do not flap their hands or walk on their toes. 

The echolalia is a bit concerning, but alone does not point to anything except a possible language delay.

budgie1117
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I babysit for a boy who is 28 months old and only speaks about 10 words. That is it. He does done signing, which I taught him. He's been evaluated also and they felt its a speech delay, not autism. 3 out of 4 of my own kids are on the autism spectrum, so I feel I have a pretty good idea of what kids are and aren't autistic. My gut tells me this boy I babysit for is not. He understands and follows directions very well. Good eye contact. He seems very typical in every way, really, other than the fact that he doesn't talk. I feel he most definitely could benefit from some aggressive speech therapy, but I'm not his parent. His parents won't put him in, not sure why...if it were my kid, you couldn't keep me away from a speech therapist for that kid!
ligs04
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM
We had another baby too and we tried so hard not to make him feel left out that I often wonder if we babied him too much and that is what's causing the delay?

Quoting funhappymom:

As a mom with a speech delayed child (he was diagnosed around his 3rd birthday and is now 9, I know the fear of possibly being autistic. I thought about it a lot with him, too.

It doesn't sound like your child is too far behind in speech though. My son was barely talking at all at 3 (talked really well up until he turned 2 and then he regressed-possibly from having a brother at the same time).

I would try to relax and not get too upset. Continue to help your son and focus on how well he is doing. (((HUGS)))

ligs04
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Thank you ladies for you wonderful responses. I just don't know! My gut tells me he is fine sometimes but others I feel like he isn't. Sometimes I think having someone on my family who is autistic makes me feel paranoid. Everyone tells me he is fine and sometimes I feel like maybe it's just me. I go back and forth on it all the time. My DS has not been seen my a developmental pediatrician but I don't know if i should give it more time with the speech therapist. I have enrolled him in daycare part time with the hope that he will start talking more when he sees all children around him. I don't know! Like I said, I go back and forth on it all the time. It's very hard for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)