Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early wake up time

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 16 Replies

I am sure there have been many posts and responses about this. Azy has been waking up around 6:30 AM recently and there has been no change in her naps and bedtime. She usually slept until 7:30 AM on average. There have been times where she slept a little later than that, but not so often.

I have been thinking of pushing her bedtime a little later only because I am sure there are going to be plenty of days where we may go out and not get home right on time to put her to bed at around 7:30 PM. We will be going away twice this year and it may disrupt her routine anyway, so I figure an 8-8:30 PM bedtime might be more convenient, but I do not want to mess her up, especially since she has been waking up an hour + earlier now.

Anyone have experience with this? She is going on 21 months BTW.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I never put mine to bed at 7:30. 8:30 or 9 was more the norm for us. Dh would get home late and wanna spend time with them and give them their last bottle. I would gradually move 15 min later at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Lol my DS is doing the same thing. And now he knows how to open his room door. Yeah not fun.
Greenstone920
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My 22 monther has been waking up earlier and earlier these days with the early daylight, around 5:15 or so.  And I've found that delaying bedtime doesn't help at all.  He woke up at 5:03 this morning, and I did manage to get him back to sleep after letting him have a cup of milk, but that's the first time it's happened.  I've just been trying to keep his schedule as consistent as possible, and following his cues the best I can.  I have a 6 yo as well, so I have to keep a consistent schedule with both of them.  It just means that I've been going to bed a bit earlier myself these days. 

CatFishMom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I have NEVER, in almost five years, had a moment's success with pushing bedtime back later to get a later wake up. My mother drives me nuts, saying it over and over that I need to put my older son to bed later and Ive gotten to the point where I roll my eyes and tell her flat out that that doesnt work. My twenty-two month old, we're just beginning to put him back to bed when he gets up at six thirty and we tell him flat out it's not time to be up yet. Usually he'll sit quietly and play in his room until seven (which is when we tell the older he can come out of his room). They go to bed at seven. We have plenty of nights where we're out and about late or something and they dont get to bed right at seven, so I have lots of experience with putting them to bed at eight, eight thirty, lately, and they ALWAYS are up by six thirty, seven latest even with the lesser amount of sleep. It usually ends badly.

Some kid are just early risers.

budgie1117
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Same situation here. It's the super early sunrise, in my opinion. I have blackout curtains, but they have light creeping through on the sides. And, like another poster said, later bedtimes makes no difference whatsoever. For me, this happens every year from about mid May until first of July. Once the sun starts to come up a little later, they fall back into their normal schedule of 8pm to 7am. I absolutely HATE this time of year, for various reasons, but the early rising tops the list!
budgie1117
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Agreed. And for me, they even seem to get up earlier if they go to bed later than usual! Nope, it's never worked for me either!

Quoting CatFishMom:

I have NEVER, in almost five years, had a moment's success with pushing bedtime back later to get a later wake up. My mother drives me nuts, saying it over and over that I need to put my older son to bed later and Ive gotten to the point where I roll my eyes and tell her flat out that that doesnt work. My twenty-two month old, we're just beginning to put him back to bed when he gets up at six thirty and we tell him flat out it's not time to be up yet. Usually he'll sit quietly and play in his room until seven (which is when we tell the older he can come out of his room). They go to bed at seven. We have plenty of nights where we're out and about late or something and they dont get to bed right at seven, so I have lots of experience with putting them to bed at eight, eight thirty, lately, and they ALWAYS are up by six thirty, seven latest even with the lesser amount of sleep. It usually ends badly.

CatFishMom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yeah, I forgot about that part-thats happened, too.

Quoting budgie1117:

Agreed. And for me, they even seem to get up earlier if they go to bed later than usual! Nope, it's never worked for me either!

Quoting CatFishMom:

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

When DS started getting up to early i shortened nap times and or extended bed time. He goes to bed about 9pm and wakes up between 7 and 8 am and doesnt nap ever. DD (11 months) goes to bed about 8:30/9pm and gets up at 6am for a bottle and breakfast with daddy and back to bed for an hour or two. And she naps around 3pm for 30minutes

momofsunshine77
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

My kids have gotten up early their whole lives.  I have a 4 and 2 year old.  They get up around 6 now because of the time change, but they usually wake up between 4 and 6.  My 4 year old used to get up at 4 for the day!!!  I have tried later bedtimes, but they still get up at the same time.  I wish mine slept till 730.  That would be a miracle day!!! LOL

DeLaLi
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

As a matter of fact, I have left her in there before and she either played quietly or fell asleep because I ended up falling back asleep. I either gave her a stuffed animal or I just ignored her. Sometimes I cannot ignore her because she will call very loudly and I know she wants me there. The other few times she was very quiet and called only a few times softly and that is why I didn't go in and it worked, lol. Too bad I cannot ALWAYS do that, haha. That would be great. I will just keep her bedtime the same (7:30) and just pray she will be ok the nights I cannot get her to bed on time, especially when we go away. I also pray she will start sleeping a bit later upon the next time change! Ugh!

Quoting CatFishMom:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)