Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Health Crazed or Just Crazy

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 6 Replies

A bit of background: I live with both my parents and my 3 year old son. I fully support both my son and myself.

Lately there has been a bit of issue in my house regarding food. While it is annoying and frustrating, I am trying to do my best. I do not make a lot of money and my assistance from the state has been drastically cut. So food among other things are on a tight tight budget. I buy a lot of food for my son and I as well as the milk for the house (4 people) and a few other household items.

While I do not know mind buying coffee or creamer or bread here and there, I do mind when I buy on Monday and by Wedsneday it is magically gone. My boyfriend and I have come to the conclusion my mother gives it to my brother (he is a 21 and in college. Oh and no job or other money income other than from my parents). Nothing I can do about that there apparently.

So not only do I have to keep up with magically disappearing food, but I have to hear my mother discuss why certain foods I buy are bad for my son. Juice has to much sugar. Hot dogs have gross additives. On and on. How do I politely tell her to back off? I am already stressing my money out and simply cannot afford 'healthier' food items more so than I do.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rota
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

There are a lot of issues going on here. Do you work and so your parents are babysitting? Does your boyfriend live with you? Who works? Would getting a family budget work so that you buy certain things and your parents buy certain things?  Who does the cooking?

Would getting a different job help so that you could move out? How supportive is your boyfriend? Do you think your parents are angry that you are living with them?

It's hard to come up with an answer to your questions but perhaps you could figure this out after asking these questions of you and your family.......

A heart to heart talk with everyone around the table might help.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Hot dogs are bad. They are. Your brother needs a job, maybe 2. I would set up a budget and look online how to buy healthier options on a budget.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Well, I don't disagree with you mom. Juice DOES have to much sugar in it. Occasionally it's not a bad thing.  We buy juice a couple times a year. Usually OJ when people are sick in the wintertime. And hotdogs ARE gross.  You could skip the hotdogs and add something different that is healthier.  I think you need to talk to your mom about most of this, but I also think that it's not going to kill you to figure out how to feed your son healthier foods.  They aren't all ridiculously expensive.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Hotdogs and fruit juices are pretty unhealthy. Better to give him water or a piece of fruit, and better a hamburger than a hot dog.  Don't buy creamer, use milk instead- cheaper and much better for you than creamer anyway.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I would just sit down with her and tell her mom I love having you here/ being here with you, but ive been having a issue with the food around here and would like to talk to you about it so it doesnt become a problem. tell her what you have noticed and how things are difficult and go from there. and the hotdogs and juice are none of her business, is he malnourished? does he eat things other than hotdogs? does he drink water? im sure he does so he is fine! unless he is sickly from eating nothing but hotdogs its none of her beeswax lol
iamcafemom83
by Mariah on May. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Why not change the way y'all do grocery shopping? Could you and mom go together and split it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)