Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over weight

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a daughter that is over weighted and nothing is working she is 11 and at 238 that was about 4 months ago I have talked to her and has slowed her food eating down I don't know what else to do I'm going to talk with her dr again today and also my dr to see what I can do or is there any pills she can take while walking PLEASE IF ANY OF YOU IS GOING THROUGH THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE all advise is welcome PLEASE
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Have you made sure you only have healthy food in the home? I take it you have done testing and she is overweight from eating too much. I would be exercising with her every day. She is morbidly obese. Pills really are not gonna work. Gotta get to the root of the issue to solve it or she will just yo yo, or gain it back after losing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I would stop buying all prepackaged and fast foods they are extremely bad for people.

Start buying more fruits and veggies.

Start getting her up and out walking, a daily family walk would do everyone good.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Thank you guys I really appreciate it I have started baking foods and eatting more veggies I will start her walking today and see what are the results in a month once again thank you all
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Keep the faith and stay the course.....Good Luck Momma !

by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM
3 moms liked this

What is her daily diet like? I wouldn't give an 11 year old any kind of diet pills.  She needs a balanced diet, with the appropriate caloric intake and she needs to exercise.  Get involved in a sport.  Summer is here.  Swimming is GREAT exercise and very low impact so it doesn't necessarily FEEL like a workout.

by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I will share my ODD's experience.  At the beginning of her 7th grade year she weighed 200lbs and was wearing a size 18.  We went to her Dr. and she was told she was showing precursors for diabetes.  We discussed a plan with her Dr. and ended up overhauling the ENTIRE families eating habits.  My ODD was a stress eater.  If she was upset or stressed out she would snack.  We found other outlets for her stress such as painting, writing, going for a walk, etc.  We cut out all high fructose corn syrup, all artificial food dyes, as much processed foods as possible, increased her water intake and cut out fast food except for maybe once a month.   She kept a food journal for about 10 days where she didn't change anything at first.  We got a good idea how much and what kind of foods she was eating.  I gave her a lot of ownership in this.  I told her I would provide her with healthy meals and snacks and would be her biggest cheerleader but she was the one that was going to have to put in the work.  At the beginning of this school year (when she was 14) she weighed 145lbs and was a size 11.  She is now 15 and has lost about 10 more pounds over the course of the year and is happy where she is now.  More importantly she is healthy.   Her typical menu for the day is Breakfast - Turkey bacon and wheat toast or an egg white cheese omelet.  Lunch - Grilled chicken wrap with lettuce and tomato and a piece of fruit or some raw veggies.  Dinner - whatever I cook, we try to have a lean protein, complex carb and two veggies with dinner each night.  Snacks - she loves air popped popcorn with parm. cheese on it (no butter), she will eat a salad as a snack, fruit of course.  She does have treats such as candy or ice cream but she limits it to about once a week and is conscous of what a true serving size actually is.  She strives to get some sort of exercise for 30 minutes 5 days a week. 

by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Momma are you eating healthy with her? I think the most sucessful weight loss comes with moral support! YOU HAVE TO LEAD BY EXAMPLE! It will be easier for her to comply with the diet if the whole family is doing it too! Good luck to you, everyone on here have great ideas too!!
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I agree with what's been said.  My daughter is not overweight by any means, but we eat healthy and exercise as a family because of family history and the fact that DH and I are overweight (not grossly, but need to lose some for sure), as many people in the house need to participate as possible.  salads, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, whole grains and water should be the staples of her diet

by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Make sure you only buy healthy foods. Restrict access to the foods as well (I know it sounds horrible, but it is for her health). 
Get her into an activity, like swimming or something this summer.
Just limiting her food intake will not help enough, get her active. But FIRST talk to a doctor, make sure her heart is healthy.  

by Mariah on May. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't take diet pills...please don't give her any:)
Get her moving. The park, bike riding, swimming. Find out what her favorite way to move is and keep going.
As far as food intake goes, from now on, I would highly recommend organic, grass fed, etc everything. Fats aren't bad for you, but you certainly have to be careful of what type and how much is consumed.

As far as liquids go, no juice or sodas. Keep it at milk and water only. Juice contains lots of sugar!

Pack her lunch for school. Get her involved with cooking and making her meals so she knows what the correct portion sizes are.

It is good for her to eat! She could still eat 3 meals, 2-3 snacks a day, it just needs to be good foods:) good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)