Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are the doors locked at your child's school?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 57 Replies

They are not at my daughters school and I have been there twice in less than two weeks and both times they have had a lock down. Which means all outside doors, classroom doors are locked and the police dept. is called. Both times it was over a custody situation. Dads trying to come get a kid that they are not suppose to. The first time was no big deal, the guy never even showed up but the second there was cops every where. And I don't think the dad showed up then. Both times was at the end of the day when school was letting out. I have felt uneasy about this. I wish the doors were locked at all times. Like have a bell you have to ring to get in! So sad that you have to feel this way!!!!

by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM

The class doors are locked at all times but not the main one by front office.  The students can get out in an emergency but no one can enter those class doors w/o admittance.

crazy4u49033
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Nope. The best defense is an aware staff. The staff is aware and approach people as the come into the building they can diffuse many situations and it makes guests understand that teachers and administrators are aware of their school.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM
HS, no. They would have to hire someone to buzz in people. Grade school you get in one door and have to be buzzed in. They don't know everyone so they probably buzz in whoever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raczac
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM
At my boys school you have to be buzzed into the school.
mymanben
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Every door is locked in my sons school except for the office. The local daycare has double doors. You can get in the first door, than your in a little space and have to be buzzed in to get in the actual daycare. If you're not allowed in and cause a scence you can get locked in that spaced until police show up
coleysmama
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Yes , you have to be buzzed in.
momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Yep, you have to be buzzed in, stop, sign in and leave either your driver's license or your car keys and get a visit ot's badge to enter the rest of the building.

MariannLws
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Our daughter's school is locked. You push the buzzer and stand in front of a camera before they let you in. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I wish ours did. :(

It's a lot of out- buildings though with big fields... So just fence.

Quoting coleysmama:

Yes , you have to be buzzed in.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM

all the doors are locked at my daughters school, except the main office ones..but then as soon as you walk in, you have to sign in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)