Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it true cats can kill newborn by sufficient

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM
  • 60 Replies
I heard that its a old wise tale but is it. We have a kitten that's gonna be the baby's when its bron and a 3 year old cat too.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radellia
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:05 AM
6 moms liked this
Your misspellings are kind of driving me nuts...

I think the word your going for is suffocate? And yes, a cat could suffocate a baby if it decided to curl up and take a nap on your baby's face... Animals of any kind should never be allowed around baby unattended.

Also make sure your not cleaning the cat's litter box while your pregnant... Have someone else complete that job for you.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 31, 2013 at 2:05 AM

i'm sorry, i don't understand what you are asking..

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Any animal could suffocate a baby or even inanimate objects can suffocate a baby.   I do not know why you would get a kitten specifically for a baby when the baby can not care for it themselves.   I would wait until school age to give a child a pet minimum.  The baby will be safe as long as you dont allow the cat to sleep on the same bedding as the baby unattended.      You need to re-read your post and make the necessary typing corrections.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM
4 moms liked this

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/aches/old_wives_tales.html#

Cats can steal the air from a baby's mouth.

False. This tale goes back hundreds of years to a time when cats were associated with witchcraft and evil spirits. Cat-lovers, rest easy — it's anatomically impossible for a cat or other animal to suffocate a baby by sealing the baby's mouth with its own.

Even so, cats and other pets should be supervised around small children and introduced to a baby gradually. You should also keep cats (just as you should keep other pets and items such as blankets and plush toys) out of your baby's crib or bassinet.

anotherandree
by Inga on May. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM
There is a reason why it called an Old Wives Tale. Cats do not want to be around a wiggling screaming baby and will not curl up on your baby to nap. HOWEVER, as with any animal there should be constant supervision and there should never be anything in a baby's crib with them as a rule.

Quoting Radellia:

Your misspellings are kind of driving me nuts...

I think the word your going for is suffocate? And yes, a cat could suffocate a baby if it decided to curl up and take a nap on your baby's face... Animals of any kind should never be allowed around baby unattended.

Also make sure your not cleaning the cat's litter box while your pregnant... Have someone else complete that job for you.
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I dont belive it...my cat slept in my DS bassonate (a pack and play playpen) also went for walks with him in the stroller...he always laid on my stomach when I was pregant and played with my DS (DS would punch while in my womb and the cat would purr and lightly tap it down then if DS didnt do it he would get worried and gently push around until he felt the punch again)

So I always had them together...

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
By sufficient what?
LCG83
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:28 AM
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM
My cat never got near my girls, ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Some do like to cuddle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)