Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

advice for a rowdy 2 year old

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 6 Replies

I can't handle my son anymore. There is not a moment that goes by that he is good.

I get it, he's 2. But I have no met a 2 year old that acts as bad or worst than mine. Ever.

My son hits, he bites, he pushes, he back talks, he doesn't listen, he's constantly into everything, he cries more than a newborn and can't keep things out of his mouth. He has picked up candy off the ground at a park and stuck it in his mouth! He is just absolutely unruly. He has a speech delay so he doesn't talk except a select few words but he understands when I say "no", so what does he do when I say "no"? Points at me, screams "no" back at me and then smacks me. Brilliant right?

Time-out's don't work. I've tried. Taking things away doesn't work. Redirection doesn't work. I can do these things over and over until my body turns purple and it will not help. 

I feel like those mom's on Super Nanny honestly. I'm at a complete and total loss. I feel like I should enjoy time with my son, and enjoy watching him play and seeing him interact with other kids. But my reality isn't like that. I get that not everything is peaches and cream with kids, I expect that their going to have problems. My 6 year old has problems, always has. Hell, I have problems. But it's to the point that I wake up in the morning, and literally pray to God (and I'm not even religious!!!) to help me keep my sanity through the day. The only SEMI peace and quiet I get is when he is in his high chair eating, and at a nap time. I don't enjoy my son, I don't even have a moment in the day that makes me proud to be his mother and it kills me to say that. 

I try and give him kisses at night, and he yells at me and tells me to stop. I try and play toys with him and he tells me to go away. He'll go all day without eating and will refuse to eat. I try and play with the dogs with him and all he does is kick them and tells them to stop. I try and sit and watch tv with him as a quiet time and he tells me no. I try and leave him alone to do his own thing and within 2 minutes something goes wrong. I can't even tell you anything specifically because it's everything. 

I just really need help. I'm at a complete and total loss and I can't handle it anymore. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Strict consistant discipline. If you are consistant it will work. He gets out of time out you put him back till he stays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CBMMOM
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I had something to say that could help you. Can you get a babysitter once in a while just for your sanity's sake? I hope so. I hope some moms on here are more insightful than I am.  Oh and I like how you told us how you are feeling and didn't hide behind the anonymous button.  

la_bella_vita
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Consistant discipline

LoreleiSieja
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, you poor dear.  Your son's behavior sounds like there might be something else going on.  Two is about the time that Autism Disorder is diagnosed, and I'm afraid that might be the case here.  Talk to your pediatrician, or ask him to give you a referal.  If your son is autistic, or the lesser Aspberger's Syndrome, then normal discipline techniques are not going to work.  The good news is that your child should then be eligible for some sort of help.  He would need to be evaluated, then meet with your school's early childhood intervention program, and an individulized educational plan will be developed.  he might be able to get into early childhood education classes, where a few hours a day, he will get professional help and you will get the support you need.

dtm1491
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Wow. I don't even know what to say. The toddler years are rough ones for sure. I don't know what to say that will help you but I really hope things get better for you soon. Hang in there.

LindaClement
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like he's a little, immature child living in an environment that is expecting him to be otherwise --maybe an adult in a tiny body, or something.

How safe is his environment to explore? Is he allowed to touch most of what he can reach? Is he allowed to play with his food? Eat until he's not hungry anymore without anyone badgering him to overeat? Is he outside for a large portion of the day, where his energy has room to expand and he has natural materials and spaces to explore?

Malls, shopping carts, car seats, high chairs, gated rooms ... none of those are natural environments for small children, neither are they welcoming of their energy or curiosity. Make sure he's spending a lot of his time where he is welcome --with his energy and his curiosity. It might just go away...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)