Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok summer is officially here....well school is out anyway. How do you all get the kids to help out? I don't want to spend the whole summer cleaning. Any suggestions would be appreciated
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
funhappymom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM

How old are your kids? I would make it fun for them to help.

What I'm planning to do is say, let's clean this for 30 minutes and then you can go out and play. Then after lunch same thing.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat with us Every Tuesday!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

She would be following the daily routine she does during the school year in regards to cleaning.

Matriarch87
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

If they are big enough to make the mess they are big enough to clean it up...I dont know what to tell you other than just making your kid pickup after themself.  

This morning my son woke up before me and proceed get out a collection of party poppers and shoot them all over on all levels of the house.  When I woke up it looked like a herd of confetti farting unicorns had stampeeded throughout our home.  

When we get home this evening, he will be helping me clean all of it up.  

If he says no, ill tell him no is not an option.  Even if I have to play him like a puppet master he will be helping me clean it all up. There just is not choice in the matter.  Its what you do, you make a mess you clean it up, you drag it out you put it away...I supose depending on your kids' ages you have to make them aware of your expectations and any defiance or refusal needs to be squashed by whatever means necessary.  

WildPowerMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I have a toddler and an infant, so I'm giving you my BIL's awesome set up.

His 5 kids (18-7) have the "Standard Chores."  These are the ones that come with being apart of the family.  Since all of them are fully functioning humans they are more advanced than just keeping toys put away.  They do their own laundry, keep their living spaces kept up, do their own dishes, and basically "Manage their mess."  He just raised them and trained them that this is required.

Everything ELSE is up for something the older kids love: Money!  He has a Monthly "Extra Chores" list that range from mowing the lawn to detailing the car to any other projects they could do around the house.  Some are a once a month thing (cleaning the gutters) and others are a weekly or twice a month chore (Mowing).  First come, first served the varying finacial rewards said projects "cost."  He's pretty fair about it and when the kids want something at the store he has a whole list of reasons he's not shelling out money for free.  They are driven by finances because they generally only get gifts at Christmas and on their birthdays. 

So if the 16 year old "Must have those shoes or she'll just DIE" she can go clean out the gutters.

If the kids are younger, my other SIL (3 kids - 7 to 3 yrs old), they have simple chores like clearing the table after dinner, picking up the room, and helping put clothes away.  They have a glass jar on the shelf that says "Family Fun Night" and a bin of colorful cotton balls.  It takes about 15 or so balls to hit the line for the girls to "Win a Fun Day!"  Basically they hit this once a week if they help out as expected.  The girls get to pick their fun night (generally given 5 pre determined fun outtings) and they go do something awesome.  It gets them really into helping and encouraging each other to help and teachings them the joys of long term goals.

My kids I hand out cookies and candy like a drug dealer as a chore gets done.  She's 3 and is quite satisifed with an Oreo after cleaning up her room.  I'm going to cling to that for as long as I can.

Don't forget the mom who held the WiFi connection password hostage until the chores on her list got done!  Fairs Fair!

Good luck!

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Make a routine. Chores first. Have a list that needs to be done. Nothing else can happen unless chores get done first! Be consistant.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

AStone83
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I wouuld have a chore list and I would make a game out of it. For example whoever cleans their room and chores first will get a prize or allowance.
jojo_star
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Mine help out if it is school or not. It's how we've just always raised them. 

rosboro5
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Im going to start with chore list and if it doesn't get done then there will be no fun. 

CameronsMommy23
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Make it part of their daily routine and especially if they're little make a game of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)