Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Health Insurance....you've got to be kidding me part 2!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
If you saw my last post you know what I am referring to....a little update....my insurance called me back today and said it was coded as a "mental health issue" when I went to the ER. Since when was a migraine considered mental health?? I, of course, called the hospital spoke to 3 different people and finally found out I needed to speak with medical records to have the "code" changed. After numerous phone calls and voicemails....no returned calls. Ugh! I've worked so hard to get out of debt and pay a good chunk for health insurance through my employer...this, again, is ridiculous.

On a side note, my insurance company, Blue Cross Blue Shield, told me something along the lines that they don't cover mental illness as well as another illness. Luckily, I don't have a mental illness, but it disturbs me for people that really do, who really need the help, because it's too expensive for them to try to get help. There is something wrong with our country (no I'm not just figuring that out)!!
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It is such a shame that you are running into this much trouble to get the hospital's error fixed.

Bleacheddecay
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That's ridiculous. We also have BCBS and they do cover mental illnesses for us. That's good since both our adult kids have mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, PTSD and ADHD. I agree a migraine is NOT a mental illness.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here, and that stupid that the hospital won't call you back. I've had that happen numbers of times its SO annoying.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

That's ridiculous. We also have BCBS and they do cover mental illnesses for us. That's good since both our adult kids have mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, PTSD and ADHD. I agree a migraine is NOT a mental illness.

anotherandree
by Inga on May. 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Alot of the same meds for migraines are also used for severe panic attacks so they might have just looked at the med and coded it as such.  Still sucks.  It's not right, and again proves that our health care SYSTEM (doctors, hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, insurance) needs an overhaul. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It does suck. Show up there. Keep going, keep calling. GL to you.  :)

Mommy2justone
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I worked in billing and coding and medical records (they were the same office) at at a hospital for 2 years. 
Call the front desk and ask when the manager for Billing and coding will be in. Then GO to the hospital.
Bring everything you can think of. Bills you have gotten, etc. Anything from that visit.

Dlunsford
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Quoting Mommy2justone:

I worked in billing and coding and medical records (they were the same office) at at a hospital for 2 years. Call the front desk and ask when the manager for Billing and coding will be in. Then GO to the hospital. Bring everything you can think of. Bills you have gotten, etc. Anything from that visit.

Thank you! I will definitely do that if I don't get anywhere Mon. I actually haven't received a bill and I need to get an itemized statement....still waiting on that. What a nightmare!
Dlunsford
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Actually, I take antidepressants and anti anxiety med too, but I don't call that a mental illness....I call it "life, work and kids".....:-) my ins has always covered my psychiatrist visits with no problem. I mean a serious mental illness such as suicide or the crazy ones that hurt themselves and other people....or even addicts. My ex is an addict and he tried to get help numerous times, but nobody would ever help him bc of ins. It comes down to the elderly too. They cant even get the care they need....its so frustrating. This was nothing related to mental illness though...it was strictly a migraine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)