Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should kids be paid for chores?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 101 Replies

Poll

Question: Should kids be paid for doing chores?

Options:

Yes, would you work for free?

No, I don't get paid for doing chores, why should they?

Make my kids do chores? No Way!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

I just read a post about whether or not kids should have to do chores (I'm in favor by the way). That got me thinking, should they be paid for these chores?

My kids have regular chores (dishwasher, sweep & swiffer, feed the animals, take out the trash, vacuum, put dinner away, etc) and they do not get paid for them. Its an expectation to contribute to the family. I don't get paid for doing chores, why should they? I don't feel like I am asking to much of them.

DH and I can't afford to pay them a regular allowance (not that we would) but if I don't have to nag about chores and what-not, I am willing to give them money (when I can) to do things with their friends. And this is all on top of paying for sports year round, school dances, etc.

They don't have any financial responsibilities yet, so they don't need money. I have limited time and 4 kids, I need help arounds the house.

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

DD gets an allowance that is seperate from chores.   I hated that growing up allowance was withheld if one thing was not done to their satisfaction.   To me they should be separate ideas so that allowance can be used as a teaching tool about money and budgeting.  Now if she wanted to do extra things around the house for a small fee that is fine.  Otherwise we all have household tasks to help out the family and keep family running smooth.

Samantha.Stetka
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I agree!

I never got paid for doing chores around my house.

Although when my son gets old enough, I probably will give hima treat everyonce in a while

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Normal chores, no. Extra chores, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fivegirls333
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM

i figure...you have to give your kid spending money anyway, right?  so you might as well get a clean room once in a while...smile.  i was never paid for chores and i never did many.  my friends who got paid?  i helped.  my children do what they are asked to anyway...i am always telling them how great they are and what a big help.  money never really comes up.

boshs1andonly
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

we got an allowance, and we had chores to do. it wasn't really an issue of whether the chores were done, they always were or we got in trouble. but the allowance was never really connected to the chores. 

delilahsmom1177
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

My DD has 5 daily chores. She is 5 years old and gets 5 bucks a week.

I'm tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Mel0dy
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the kids/family

zoo003
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this

No, we do not give our children allowance for doing chores.  Our philosophy is that it takes all of us coming together as a team and doing our own parts to make our house run smoothly.  We all live under our roof, we all eat the food, we all dirty dishes, we all dirty clothes, etc and therefore, we all must pitch in to help out.  However, when my children need money for something, within reason, we are also there to give it to them.  I know that not everyone agrees with this philosophy, and I respect that, but this is how we do things and it works for us.   

LittleBirdFly
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

regular chores, no they should not get paid for. Maybe if they do something extra for a while to get some more money because they are saving up for something they want. that is ok, but not regular chorse.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

There are some chores that she's just expected to do,such as keep her room clean.But there are some chores that I've alloted her that she does get paid for such as feeding/watering the dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured