Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

2 rows of teeth?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 18 Replies
My 6 year olds adult teeth (center bottom) are coming up behind his baby teeth instead of pushing them out and replacing them. Anybody else have a kid this happened to? I've never seen it before!
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I have not seen that before, but I have heard of it.  You need to get him into the dentist ASAP.  Those baby teeth likely need to be pulled or the adult teeth can be damaged. 

hellokittykat
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM

My sister had this when she was younger. It's just crowding. You need to bring him to an orthodontist to get braces and move them. It may seem silly to get them straightened out when the baby teeth will fall out later, but getting it fixed will improve the look of his profile and jawline bone structure. If he is eating weird because of this, his bite will start one side to grind down more than the other, which could affect the facial muscles and bone growth in the face.

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM
My brother did. He had braces to fix them
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM
His dentist is the one who told me. He saw them on the x Ray just below the surface of his gums. They should break through in a few days they are so close. He says the adult teeth should push forward and knock the baby teeth out that way. We will reevaluate in 6 months to see what happens.

Quoting jackiewal10:

I have not seen that before, but I have heard of it.  You need to get him into the dentist ASAP.  Those baby teeth likely need to be pulled or the adult teeth can be damaged. 

Bookwormy
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM
My DD had this at 5yo. You do not get braces! You get the baby teeth pulled & the permanent teeth move forward naturally. It is called shark teeth, fyi.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmm the dentist doesn't think they need pulled yet. He was laughing because my son also has a Mohawk. It's his shark fin to go with his shark teeth :)

Quoting Bookwormy:

My DD had this at 5yo. You do not get braces! You get the baby teeth pulled & the permanent teeth move forward naturally. It is called shark teeth, fyi.

Bookwormy
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Our dentist only gave her teeth a month to come out. They got lose but she needed the 2 first teeth pulled. All of the next four have been lost naturally. The baby teeth aren't going to damage the permanent teeth.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

His dentist is the one who told me. He saw them on the x Ray just below the surface of his gums. They should break through in a few days they are so close. He says the adult teeth should push forward and knock the baby teeth out that way. We will reevaluate in 6 months to see what happens.

Quoting jackiewal10:

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I would get a second opinion about that.  That doesn't sound right.  If the adult teeth are not through yet (reading the post, I had assumed they were as the wording suggests that), it's not going to take them long.  Not more than a few weeks.  If the act of them breaking the surface doesn't push the baby teeth out, I surely wouldn't be waiting 6 months to see what happens.  Teeth are important.  You don't want to risk damaging the permanent adult teeth, ya know.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Normal.I still have one baby tooth and my dentist sees no point to pull it. it does not bother me and no problems from it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

It happened with my oldest and youngest.  Once their baby teeth fell out,the new ones moved into place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)