Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Frustration... Breastfeeding related!

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

I need some help!
My little man will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. He's now up to about 2.5-3oz per feeding, I have been pumping just because my body can't keep up with him. Over the last 3 days his feedings have increased so quickly! It's frustrating because I wanted to ONLY breastfeed but I've already found myself having to supplement with formula because I'll go to pump and I'll only get about 2oz total. The dr last week said he's growing perfect & nothing to worrry about since he's already more than his birth weight. He will latch fine I've just been pumping lately to try to produce more, so every hour and a half I'll pump so after a few hours he has enough for a feeding. So he will take breast & bottle no problem. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to increase my supply for him, it's frustrating that I'll feed him boob and he gets so upset that he's still hungry & I have nothing left to give him. I've been trying everything, I'm just irritated because the last thing I wanted to do was give him formula I really wanted to be able to breastfeed and it was going so well until these last 3 days. (Nothing wrong with formula, my 2 oldest were only on formula) I just had a goal with this baby to do breastfeeding since he will probably be our last. Please any suggestions, is this normal? What can I do? I even tried power pumping yesterday, every 45 min I was pumping for a little while over the course of a few hours just to see if that would bump up my supply. I feel like my body is doing something wrong that I can't produce enough for him :( I hope I'm not the only one who has had this!

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this
You need to feed him and not pump. You will make more milk than with the pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaToCollin
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Agree with the above poster.  Ditch the bottles and just nurse.  He's pretty much one big growth spurt right now.  Anytime he squirms, nurse him.

MamaToCollin
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Also, your pump output is no indication of how much milk you think you have.  The amount you're pumping is actually on the high end of normal.  

The breastfeeding group can really help you out if you post this there as well.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You're overfeeding him!

At 2 weeks, his tummy is the size of a ping pong ball. I would stop the bottles (especially formula!!!) and keep nursing him.

Average output is 0.5-2 ounces from BOTH breasts, per session. You are on the very high end of normal. You have a lot of milk. Pumps are not at all an indication of supply, though, because nothing gets that milk out like your baby does.

There is a huge growth spurt at two weeks. Your baby will seem like he's starving and wanting to eat constantly. Put him to the breast every time he acts like he wants to eat and your supply will increase to meet the demand and things will regulate in a few days.

My 4 month old is going through a huge growth spurt right now, she's nursing almost every hour.

samiraejones
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Thank you! I should say though a part of me pumping is because I will be going back to work part time in just a few weeks. So I was told I should start pumping to try to increase my supply so I can start storing the milk for him.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Feed him on one side, and pump on the other while you're feeding him.

You're not going to be saving milk, or increasing your supply if you're not nursing him enough.

Quoting samiraejones:

Thank you! I should say though a part of me pumping is because I will be going back to work part time in just a few weeks. So I was told I should start pumping to try to increase my supply so I can start storing the milk for him.

Lashawn77
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I agree with the above posters, also Oatmeal helped me keep my production up. Contact a Lactation consultant as well, Gerber has some great ones that will give advice for free.

shortyali
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quoting samiraejones:

I need some help!
My little man will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. He's now up to about 2.5-3oz per feeding,(For 2 weeks keep bottles around 2 ozs given every 1.5-2 hors when you arent around.  If you are there then put him to breast.) I have been pumping just because my body can't keep up with him. How are you basing this?  The only way to tell how much hes getting is by diaprer output.  Set out 6 diapers in the morning and as long as within 24 hours they are gone then hes getting enough.  Heavy wets and poops count as 2 diapers.  Over the last 3 days his feedings have increased so quickly! It's frustrating because I wanted to ONLY breastfeed but I've already found myself having to supplement with formula because I'll go to pump and I'll only get about 2oz total. Normal pump out put is .5-2ozs both breast combined for a missed feeding.  Your output is a the high end of normal.  The dr last week said he's growing perfect & nothing to worrry about since he's already more than his birth weight. He will latch fine I've just been pumping lately to try to produce more, so every hour and a half I'll pump so after a few hours he has enough for a feeding. So he will take breast & bottle no problem. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to increase my supply for him, it's frustrating that I'll feed him boob and he gets so upset that he's still hungry & I have nothing left to give him. Your boob is a factory, not storage.  What that means is milk is made as its removed so start him on one side and leave him until he comes off on his own.  Burp him and offer side B.  When he comes off sidde B, burp and offer side A again.  Keep doing this, its the best way to raise your supply if it needs to be raised.   I've been trying everything, I'm just irritated because the last thing I wanted to do was give him formula I really wanted to be able to breastfeed and it was going so well until these last 3 days. (Nothing wrong with formula, my 2 oldest were only on formula) I just had a goal with this baby to do breastfeeding since he will probably be our last. Please any suggestions, is this normal? What can I do? I even tried power pumping yesterday, every 45 min I was pumping for a little while over the course of a few hours just to see if that would bump up my supply. I feel like my body is doing something wrong that I can't produce enough for him :( I hope I'm not the only one who has had this!

I would stop all bottles unless you are not there to physically nurse.  Also you are coming up on the 3 weke growth spurt so expect him to act starving all the time and want to nurse non-stop, it is 100% normal.  I tell myself that if I can survive the 3 week growth spurt, I can survive anything.  My DS2 decided at 2 weeks he was going to be latched on no matter what and that lasted until he was close to 4 weeks old.  I made a sling and nursed him in that, or when I got tired of the sling, I would put him in my moby wrap and nurse in that.  :)

micheledo
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Haven't read all the replies, but my firstborn went through growth spurts much more often then'normal.' I would have a day or two of a fussy baby because I wasn't producing enough . He would nurse often and fuss when he got nothing. Butthen my production would catch u pfor him. Just keep giving the breast and most likely yo uwill catch up!!

Also ,the skin to skin is great!!! That will help increaseyour supply.
shortyali
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

As far as for work goes I started pumping once a day the week before I went back.  Once I had enough for that first day, I froze the rest (Keep the freezing amounts small to start off with, 2-3oz bags).  Baby only needs 1-1.25ozs per hour os seperation.  That is just to make bottles seem like low supply so that when mom is around its like Thanksgiving dinner.  This is also to protect your supply down the road.  Go to Kellymom.com and look up the article on how to bottle feed the breastfed baby and look that over and have whoever is going to watch him read it also.  Make sure at work you are pumping every 2-3 hours.  Send on Tuesday what you pumped on Monday, Send on Wednesday what you pumped on Tuesday and so on.  Then on Friday freeze.  I usually at this point pump on Saturday morning and Sunday morning and if I need more milk to make up the difference then I go to my frozen stash (It also helps keep it rotated). 

Quoting samiraejones:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN