Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you realize that your baby wasn’t a "baby" anymore?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 114 Replies

First words, first steps, playdates, school dates... where does the time go?  As your baby grows, their needs change.

We gave moms of walking babies Huggies Slip-On diapers and asked them to try them on their little ones.  Read all about their #firstfit experience changing a "baby" on the go. 

When did you realize that your baby wasn’t a "baby" anymore? 

toddler boy

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I realized she wasn't a baby anymore when she started playing by herself with her sister, pointing at things and asking "was this?" and giving hugs! She started rolling away and pulling off her clothes and diapers. The one thing I really love about the Huggies Slip-On diapers was it made it really easy to get her new diaper on and let her run off and play.I really like how easy they are to use and how well they fit. We have had zero leaks and no diaper rashes. These are really great diapers and I recommend them for older babies!

KanPsMommy

I realized she wasn't a "baby" anymore when she stopped letting me hold her and was instead off exploring the house and seeing what she could learn about. With her constantly moving changing her diaper was a task I was dreading. She wiggled and rolled and it was just an endless fight trying to get the diaper open, under her butt, then fastened before she tried to get away. But with the Huggies slip on diapers, changing her was much easier. It was literally as fast as 1-2-3 and she was done and happily running away to go explore some more. I really liked them for that factor alone, plus they really held up to all her crawling, climbing, and walking. They stayed in place and didn't leave red marks on her stomach and legs like I've experienced with alot of diapers after she's been playing. The first time we put one on her, she was shocked about how fast it was over, and she really seemed to enjoy being able to stand up for a new diaper! Overall I really liked them!
cgarlic
I just started to realize how fast time has gone by. She is now talking in 2/3 word sentences :( she is starting to try to dress herself & put on her own shoes. The Slip-Ons make changing easier since she can just step right in.
robibuni

My youngest has always been a clingy baby...from day one.

She's still very much a baby, at just 15 months, but right around 12 months, when she began walking, she was no longer my sweet, cuddly baby girl. Suddenly, she would wiggle to get out of my arms and explore, whereas before, while cruising, she would never go very far and stay close to mama. Its been bittersweet, but now I feel like I appreciate her cuddly moments that much more!

-Mommy-2-Three-

I'd suppose when i first realized she REALLY wasnt a baby anymore was when she stopped wanting to be snuggled & became very independant which for my 3rd was super early, she was crawling at 5m & walking just before 9m :( over a month earlier than both her big brothers. Once she was mobile she was on the go all the time exploring.

Before we tried the *Huggies Slip Ons* we were using *Pampers Easy Ups* so the experience wasnt much of a change, my daughter started self training about 3m ago at 21m old so we had to switch to pull ups because she would fly through regular diapers since we couldn't put them back on Lol. So as far as changing baby convenience that hasn't really changed.

The first fitting went smoothly, the size 4s fit her really well over all, she is 37" & 29 lbs so it was an accurate sizing, her other easy ups are 2t-3t.  I was mostly happy to see that the tabs didn't split open on these like I find with *Huggies Pull-ups* which I hate.

The diaper held up quite well, we didn't have ANY leaks, even at night which is shocking. They fit well so no blow-outs which is a relief Lol. No marks from tight thigh wholes. Only complain is they maybe a tad short, her butt crack stuck out some times Lol.

CMDA2310

I started realizing my daughter wasn't really much of a baby anymore when she started exploring things on her own and being more independent. She's still a mommy's girl, but she doesn't stick to me like glue anymore. She wants to play and roam, especially while outside. She used to hate it if I put her down while we were outside, and now I have to walk very quickly to keep up with her! She doesn't even want to hold my hand most of the time, and she's only 15 months old.

The past few months, changing her diaper and clothes has been a challenge! She does the "gator roll," and laughs about it. The first time putting on the Huggies Slip On diaper definitely wasn't any easier, lol! However I have been very impressed with the diapers so far, they're holding up very well. No leaks as of yet and I'm almost to the end of the package! Diaper changes are getting a bit easier too, because it's faster to just slip the diaper on, and I think she appreciates that. She never wants to stop playing long enough to change the diaper, so faster  is good! 

I really like these diapers right now. My daughter never seems to have just a slightly wet diaper, it's always super wet, and I'm very surprised not to have had any leaking. They also seem to be more comfortable for her, because she was always trying to remove her other diapers but hasn't tried to remove these yet. They don't leave any red marks on her, either.

pittymama

i realized when she was about 7 months old and didn't want snuggles anymore. she only wanted snuggles at night, otherwise she wanted to be all over the place! now that she's walking i'm like.. i have a child. a real child.. not a baby :( haha

loisl25
1 mom liked this
I realized she wasn't a baby anymore when she started telling me what she wants instead of just crying. She even says, ''Thank you!" :-)
sadiebug1228
I still consider Sadie a baby. She's developmentally a 6 month old so she is mobile and into everything but doesn't understand what I'm saying to her. She doesn't come when I ask she doesn't know what no means etc.
the slip on diapers r great they're easier to put on and she doesn't fuss sat changing time anymore. However the do see a little big in the waist but they don't leak so I'm not complaining. Sadie the past week has been sick and she's refusing to stand up so I've been slipping them on while she's laying down which is just as easy as when she's standing up. And daddy loves them! He thinks their easier too!
Scorpiomom78
1 mom liked this

I actually just had this realization yesterday! I took down their cribs :( and moved them to toddler beds. Half way through taking them down it hit me, their not babies anymore! :(  I have actually cried a few times since then bc of that. Lol they are my youngest and I just don't know where that time went. 

My twins are very different! My DD does very well with the pull up diapers and I think she thinks she is cool being able to "help" mom put her diaper on. She is very independent and likes to do a lot on her own so they work well for her. My DS on the other hand is my little lazy guy. Lol He is just fine laying there and letting mom do all the work so the pull up diapers are not the easiest on him! I am thinking about using them instead of pull-ups for potty training. 

Overall I like them and have had no issues with them!! 

CelestialSong

My daughter is almost 2, and I can't think of a specific moment that made me realize she's not a baby anymore. It's just been a series of moments, her hitting milestones and achieving things that a baby couldn't. She still seemed very baby-like when she started walking, but less monumental things like the first time she pointed to a letter and correctly identified it, or the day she suddenly counted to 5, or when she said "water" instead of "wuba"...

Diaper changes can be difficult on a mobile baby or toddler. Mine is quite fond of rolling over and running away after her diaper is off, or her latest thing is pulling the tabs off as I'm trying to attach them. Yikes! Our easiest diaper changes were when I just had her stand  up and attempted to get a normal diaper on her that way (they never fit very well with that method, just a heads up). So slip on diapers seemed like a good option. The first time we put on a Huggies slip-on diaper, there was no struggle, no fighting, no fuss at all. She did seem a little confused by me taking her diaper off while she was standing up, but when I put the Huggies on and told her to "step in" (what I say when putting pants on her while she's standing), she did right away, and that was that. Simple! Even after several slip-on changes, she still lets me put them on her without any trouble, so they're great especially when we're in a hurry.

A few negatives though - I thought it looked a little too big but not in the places where a good fit is important (waist and around the legs all fit snugly but not tightly enough to leave marks), but the rest of the diaper itself puffs out a bit more than a regular diaper. It's not a big deal though, just something I noted. Also, maybe this was just my batch since no one else has mentioned, but once the diaper gets wet the smell of the diaper is really strong. It's not a pee smell, just a strange smell that I assume is the diaper material or something. So I end up changing her sooner than with a regular disposable, and I haven't wanted to use it overnight because she pees a lot still. But if you don't notice the smell or don't care, I think they'd hold up great overnight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)