Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with my dog. Thinking about rehoming.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 27 Replies
First please don't bash, I'm at the end of my rope here.

I'm an experienced dog owner. I have owned dogs my whole life. Mostly bully breeds. I'm usually the one where when someone is having trouble with their dog, I'm the one helping them or even taking the dog. I've even taken a couple older dogs with behavior problems and turned them into great dogs.

Now we come to Koko. She's a lab/pit mix. I've had her 4-5 years. I've had her since she was 10 weeks old. She's a great dog/the dog from Hell, if that makes since. I've never had a dog like her.

She's very protective of my children (actually all children) which is good and bad. She tried attacking a father when he came to get his son one time. (but I do kinda blame the dad because he just reached over the fence and grabbed his child, she didn't know who he was)
She digs like crazy everywhere. Mainly just little holes but everywhere especially when DS is outside. (and we live on 6 acres.

She's fine with our other dog but any other dog she attacks. She's great with cats and chickens. LOL.

Here's the big issue I had today. She attacked our neighbors puppy. No real damage to the puppy but I can't have her doing this. I quess I should add the puppy was in our yard, but it still doesn't sit right that she attacked it. She's tried to attack other dogs too, like if they're walking past our house. My blood pressure raises evrrytime she's outside.

Now I'm sure your going to ask what have we done to keep her in the yard or help with her issues.

We gave her her own little part of the yard. (About 1/2 an acre) We have put up a 6 foot fence. - she jumped it.
We upped it to 8 feet, she climbed it and dug under it, which we put the fence in the ground 2 feet and she still dug under it.

She's fixed and up to date on her shots. I socialized her when she was a puppy. We've talked to the vet and he says just put her in a pen with a concrete floor and top. I just don't think that's a great way to live and getting her into the pen without an issue has me worried. (she is inside most of the time but if we are outside she goes crazy inside)

I'm just at a loss here. I even have to make special arrangements when she goes to the vet so she's not around other dogs. IDK if she would be better with someone else or what to do. A lot of this stems from she's so protective of DS and like has anxiety when he's around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I think rehoming her would not be a good idea because if the dog hurts someone when you knew it was a risk, you could be liable. 

If she is trying to attack people, I would do what the vet said. If you don't want to do that, and she is a risk, put her down. 

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Unless you want to be sued, give her up.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

What would the Dog Whisperer do?  He would socialize your dog to get him used to other dogs, and retrain the dog as well as you.  If you don't have the time to commit to something like that, which could take up to three months, it is best to rehome to someone who does. 

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM
if the issue really is over protectiveness of your son, then I think rehoming, to a family without kids, would work
PeaceLoveAndTea
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried a Thundershirt? My vet recommended one for my dog who has bad anxiety and it's calmed him down quite a bit. We use it along with a collar the vet gave us. The collar is kind of like a flea collar, but it releases the same pheromones as a pregnant dog, so it's kind of like being with mom again (theoretically). We had the collar for a while before the shirt came and I noticed a huge improvement with even just the collar. You leave it on for a month before switching it out with a new one.

NocturnesAngel
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I'm sure this is not going to go over well, but have you spoken with your vet about having her put on anxiety meds and/or counseling, dog training school, etc.?

My aunt had a Doberman , the dog passed away last year (he was 15), for the first 5 years she basically acted the same way your dog acted; until they got her on a very low dosage of anti anxiety medication and changed her dog food, snacks, treats, etc. to ones that had no red dyes, blue dyes, yellow dyes, etc.

The dog didn't do a complete 360, but he did calm down quite a bit and was able to live a normal dog life.

He still was protective, as he should have been; but he no longer was Hyper, etc.

I wish You & your Koko the Best :)

GOBryan
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I sort of had a similar dog and at the end we put him down. Mainly because he had bad hips but it was a nightmare with the neighbors and if he wanted to get out, he would find a way. He finally attacked one of our dogs and we had to put that dog down. Then he got out and got into an altercation with the neighbor's dog. Not that the neighbor's dog was innocent either but enough was enough. The reality is that those type of dogs are hard to relocate because of aggression issues. Mine was also great with the kids and family and we suffered through it but we needed peace of mind as well. Now he visits in spirit instead. We've even heard his bark. 

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
That's what we are worried about. The puppy is actually their daughter's dog, who has been in a coma for the last 2-3 months after a bad car accident.

I can see the dollar signs for "emotional damage" is she hurts or kills the puppy.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Unless you want to be sued, give her up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM
We have tried a thundershirt for a while. It didn't really do anything. It works wonders on my other dog who's scared of storms though.
I haven't heard about that collor though maybe I'll ask the vet about that.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

Have you tried a Thundershirt? My vet recommended one for my dog who has bad anxiety and it's calmed him down quite a bit. We use it along with a collar the vet gave us. The collar is kind of like a flea collar, but it releases the same pheromones as a pregnant dog, so it's kind of like being with mom again (theoretically). We had the collar for a while before the shirt came and I noticed a huge improvement with even just the collar. You leave it on for a month before switching it out with a new one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
yes our vet doesn't think that's a good idea because she has seizers (sp?) sometimes. I quess the meds can bring them on.

She has them mainly when she's locked in tight quarters which is why I don't think the pen idea would go over to well.

We had a trainer come over and it didn't go over to well. I don't think she's a good trainer because she was scared of her. (she's about a 90 pound dog) We live out in the boonies and the same women runs the doggie classes. IDK if she would even let her in the class.

Quoting NocturnesAngel:

I'm sure this is not going to go over well, but have you spoken with your vet about having her put on anxiety meds and/or counseling, dog training school, etc.?

My aunt had a Doberman , the dog passed away last year (he was 15), for the first 5 years she basically acted the same way your dog acted; until they got her on a very low dosage of anti anxiety medication and changed her dog food, snacks, treats, etc. to ones that had no red dyes, blue dyes, yellow dyes, etc.

The dog didn't do a complete 360, but he did calm down quite a bit and was able to live a normal dog life.

He still was protective, as he should have been; but he no longer was Hyper, etc.

I wish You & your Koko the Best :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured