Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

teething biscuits before they crawl?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

My son is 5 1/2 months old and teething. Since he is so eager to put things in his mouth and knaw on it, I thought a teether biscuit would bring him some gratification. He's only had bananas, rice cereal, and sweet potato for solids. No teeth yet and can not crawl. My instinct says he'll just chew on it until it's mushy and swallow the mush, but I'm afraid it will break and he might choke. Advice? Just wait?
big smile mini

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

a frozen washcloth would be much better...those teething biscuits break, causing potential choking

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Amber beads work well too

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

My son used the teething biskets, they never broke off, they dissolved very easily..

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I never gave my children teething biscuits, but from what I've seen, they don't break into hard chunks. I'd probably only give them to him when he is sitting in the high chair.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Not sure what crawling has to do with teething.

A teething biscuit will not break into chunks. A baby does not have the teeth, or jaw power to crack one of them. They dissolve into messy mush that gets all over, and turns into a coating of cement when it dries (on body, clothes, furniture, etc).

They do seem to help massage the gums however. 

We preferred teething toys of hard plastic filled with sterile water. We kept a few in the freezer so we could trade off when they thawed. You get the hard massaging of the gums, plus the cold to numb discomfort. All without the dissolved cookie mess.

LindaClement
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Since it's not really food at all, and carries 100% of the ingredients ideal to cause dental decay, I'd suggest giving it a miss.

Try real food. He can gnaw on meat, chew cooked vegetables, and raw apples and pears. 

My great grandmother lost all her teeth in the 1918 flu epidemics, when she was 28, and never got dentures. She ate steak --and everything else. Teeth are helpful for chewing, but they're not necessary.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Hylands teething tablets are the best. It seriously takes 3 seconds for the pain to go away. I let my son chew on then and they dissolve.
mom2ljh
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM
One has nothing to do with the other. Teething biscuits are fine, crawling or not.
awesomemommy2
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

If the AAP doesnt recommend solids until 6 months wouldnt teething biscuits fall under that?

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I wouldn't. We don't give any solids until 6 months at least. We use teething tablets and an amber teething necklace.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN