Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Any tips on getting a picky eater to eat?!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 38 Replies

Hi! I'm new to the group and this is my first post. My son is almost three  and he is such a picky eater. I have tried reintroducing foods over and over in hopes that he will eat them, but no luck. Foods that he used to eat, he will not touch now. I am getting so frustrated, every meal has become a battle of wills. Any tried and true tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_dl6
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a hard one to answer....Um...Have you tried compromise with him or letting him help with making the meal and menu?  If he feels like he's a part of the whole production (so to speak) he might enjoy it better.

this is not fail proof either.....good luck

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
in my home being picky is not an option. You eat what you are given or go hungry. maybe it's harsh, but it works.
LaffItUpFzbl
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I've started letting my kids go hungry. My oldest is 5 and since he was born I've begged, cajoled, pleaded, threatened, and all that other shit. Now I just fix what is healthy. If they don't eat it, they don't eat. Next meals rolls around and they're usually hungry enough to at least try something on their plate. 

GleekingOut
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Let him go hungry. If he says he's hungry offer him the previous meal or water. If he says no - then say "okay. let me know when you are ready". I don't believe in this whole 'two seperate meals thing' you either eat it or go to bed.

mommaTLC186
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been going through the same thing with my youngest...hes now 7 :/
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Does your son have other sensory senstivities... Sound, smell? Does he hate tags in shirts? Noises that you dnt think are too loud, but he does? A bath that is perfect temperature... But he thinks it is too hot? 

If so, then I disagree completely with the parents above that say "picky isnt an option in my house." Cause their kids have the capability (and maybe yours does too) to eat. Bt my theory is that if your kid could tolerate  other textures, tastes, smells... Then he would. BUT since he is not... Then there is an issue. 

My son has SPD, which is a sensory processing disorder. His body doesnt give the right signals to his brain which makes eating a difficulty for him. It also may make lots of other things a difficulty too...

Ive been to a feeding therapist with him. Ill share her suggestions about stretching a childs pallate. 

Bring them to the grocery store. Have him pick out a food. Opt for non virtous food in the beginning.and if you can, in the beginning suggest a food very similar in texture to what he currently eats. For 5 days you interoduce the food. At first, he is required to just tough it and play, second, smell, if he wants to rub it on his tongue, great, if he wants and you should encourage it-- to chew it and spit it out, great..and on the 5th day he needs to eat and swallow it,  

If your son likes foods that are bland (bagels) try an unsalted pretzel. If he likes high taste food like pickles, try something that is also high taste, salty..like crackers? Really think about texture, color. High taste foods is my guy..and at first i tried grilled cheese with american... ICK.. Well replace the american cheese with a spicy monteray jack.. Voila! Add garlic powder to pizza, and voila! 

If you did feel your son may have some sensory issues.. Its not a huge deal if handled properly. The sensory sensitive child or out of sync child are both super helpful books. Treating sensory sensitive children typically is unfair... And will create issues. If you look at a child who is crawling under a dinner table at a hollday party as a behavioral issue, youll treat him much different then a child who just cant handle the smell of thesmelly brussel sprout dish that was placed on the table. for the sensory sensitive child, youll replace the brussells with the bread plate.. And he will be ok...but for many kids with sensory, whos parents dont know about SPD.. Who sit under the table, a punishment ensues, and a lot of resentment and poor self esteem occurs. 

I also want to add...you cant force Anything in (food) and you cant force anything out (potty training) these two things are under your childs ultimate control. Dont get into a power struggle... Thats not good for anyone. 

Mabuka
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Let him help make whatever he's going to eat. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the moms - let him go hungry. Put his plate of food in the fridge and when he tells you he's hungry a half hour later, pull it out and warm it up for him. Eventually he'll learn to just eat what's given to him...hopefully. Lol.
2lilmamas
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Going through this and she's 6
fivegirls333
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM
2 moms liked this

just make sure your kitchen is full of healthy stuff.  even if he picks and snacks, he will get what he needs.  don't fret. let him eat what he wants. put smaller portions on his plate (like three peas).  i always said "it's just for color!...you can try it if you want."  i always think it is kind of sad to see little ones force fed or punished...they didn't choose it!...and that doesn't mean i make special meals!!!  make a big deal when he just tries something and everyone else yumming it up in front of him.  he will come around...good luck!

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My toddler refuses to eat vegetables or fruit in any form, so I make him a shake and sneak the fruits and veggies in there.  Today he had a spinach-banana-yogurt smoothie and loved every drop of it.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)