Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Terminating Parental rights?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 32 Replies
I was just wondering if any of you ladies had any experience with termination of parental rights? The information regarding my state mainly covers adoption of children in the system and doesnt tell me how to go about getting it started. I am too hot and tired to get into all the disgusting details but essentially my ex is manipulative abusive and neglectful. He has nothing to do with his children. He lives with and always has lived with his mother who is the only one who initiates phone calls or visits...which are for her and only occur every few months. The only time he calls is to berate me or threaten me. Before we moved I was honestly afraid for my life. I have filed police reports and had his threats recorded.
He isnt required to pay child support because he is 'disabled'. He recieves state funding for being bipolar.
I would think and hope it would be a pretty cut and clear case especially if he consented. When he started having to pay child support he admitted to asking his lawyer if relinquishing his rights would get him out of paying. They told him he would still have to pay arrears. I am not sure what arrears or all that is. He paid maybe two months worth and now doesnt have to pay anymore due to his 'disability'. Sigh. I dont want his money. I want my husband to adopt my two older ones (which he has raised since my second ws born and my oldest was almost 2). My son does not have my ex on the birth certificate. I dont know if that helps any?
I am trying not to sound bitter and I dont disparage my ex in front of the children. They dont even know who he is. They dont call him dad. They just get excited for grandma.
I only want to never have to deal with him ever again. My husband loves them with his everything and wants to adopt them. I want that as well partly because I dont want them to go to my ex if something were to happen to me. I truly fear for them where my ex is concerned.
So sorry that was so long. I really tried to cut a lot out. Please feel free to ask any questions if you need and I greatly appreciate any help.
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM
In ohio, the step parent adoption packet has a section/page that the relinquishing parent must sign and have notarized that they "approve" of the step parent adoption. That is the only place the "relinquishing of rights" are given. So one can't just give up rights in ohio, someone has to be in place to take those rights over.
paganmommy4
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Its called One year abandonment or look up the relinquishment qualifications in your state

basically he needs to adandon them for one year

Arrears: is debt. Say you have a credit card and you owe 1,000 on it, just because youre out of money on the card,  you still owe on it

belindah
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

in the state of montana if the non custodial parent has not seen or paid child support in a year and there is someone willing to take the non custodial parents place rights of the non custodial parent can be taken away.

jrmo4
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I have heard of the abandonment thing but his mom calls every few months. Would I be able to technically loophole that considering she is the one that calls and sets everything up? How can I prove that? And does his non payment due to disability count toward the abandonment?
And on the step parent stuff where have you found that information? Courthouse? Sorry for all the questions.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I would stop letting her be the middle person.
If he u s on disability, do your kids qualify for dependants benefits? If he is not ordered to pay, it can't be held against him.

Quoting jrmo4:

I have heard of the abandonment thing but his mom calls every few months. Would I be able to technically loophole that considering she is the one that calls and sets everything up? How can I prove that? And does his non payment due to disability count toward the abandonment?

And on the step parent stuff where have you found that information? Courthouse? Sorry for all the questions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Google your county name, state step parent adoption. Also check your county clerk of courts website for info.

Quoting jrmo4:

jrmo4
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM
He was required to pay CS but the courts reduced it to 0 due to his 'disability'. Do you think it would be in my favor to just close the CS case?
I have told her time and again that he needs to be the one to set up visitations and chats but she still takes it as her duty to essentially be his secretary. Partly I'm sure because he cannot seem to keep it together and starts getting domineering and hateful when talking to me....and then I hang up and refuse to deal with it.

Quoting conniejo75:

If he u s on disability, do your kids qualify for dependants benefits? If he is not ordered to pay, it can't be held against him.

Quoting jrmo4:

jrmo4
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM
I will do that thank you. The county that I am in now I have not dealt with yet though. Does that matter?

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Google your county name, state step parent adoption. Also check your county clerk of courts website for info.

Quoting jrmo4:

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
If he's ordered to pay zero, he is paying zero... mute point. However if kids are seeing him through grandma, you are allowing it. Just don't speak to her.

Quoting jrmo4:

He was required to pay CS but the courts reduced it to 0 due to his 'disability'. Do you think it would be in my favor to just close the CS case?

I have told her time and again that he needs to be the one to set up visitations and chats but she still takes it as her duty to essentially be his secretary. Partly I'm sure because he cannot seem to keep it together and starts getting domineering and hateful when talking to me....and then I hang up and refuse to deal with it.

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting jrmo4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
No. You file in the county you currently live.

Quoting jrmo4:

I will do that thank you. The county that I am in now I have not dealt with yet though. Does that matter?

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Quoting jrmo4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN