Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Food and Kids!

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been having trouble with my son since he came off babyfood. We have a list of like ten things he will eat and its just not enough. I have noticed over the last few months hes a different kid and I think it has to do with the way he eats! I really need help!

I'm at a total loss. I cant get him to try new things, sending him to bed hungry doesn't work, and if I do get lucky and he try's a new food he hates it!  He use to be this fun loving happy kid that seemed so smart. Now hes.... boring, he wants to stay home, hes in pain (Think growing pain), hes not loving, hes so mean and gets mad easy and cant sit still... Anyway, I think there are a few things that are making this happen and one big one is what hes eating, or in better words... What hes not eating.

I would really love to talk to another mom that's in my boat because I haven't met another kid like my son. I have talked to sooo many moms all say the same thing, "Oh my son is so picky to I know how you feel" but really they don't. My son wont eat things like beef, mac n cheese or any kind of noodle at that, chicken nuggets, and the list goes on and on and on. The only veggie I can get him to eat are carrots and that's only if he gets ice cream afterwards which seems to me like its not worth it then....

I did manage to get him off of chocolate milk... He doesn't know, I have been telling him its chocolate milk when really its chocolate almond milk... That seems healthier to me. I know he will eat chicken strips (if they look like the ones from Steak n' Shake) and I'm considering making those for him if I can make them look and taste the way he likes and be baked instead of fried. I want to get him away from processed foods and dyes, but its like EVERYTHING is!

Are there any moms here that have their child on a diet, not to lose weight, but for like ADHD? I think I want to try coping that and see if that helps. Could you tell me what you feed your child?

I'm so sick of what has been going on over the last few years! Anyone who has stayed a day with my son has a completely different look at what "picky" eating really is. Its like nothing I have ever seen and I need a lot of help! : (

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganmommy4
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM

my adhd child eats food. I dont change her diet. shes on meds and it works

sometimes its not as simple as diet change, sometimes its chemical imbalance in the brain

KateSmith88
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I understand that ADHD children eat food, but there are people that will put their child not only on meds, but also change their diet. There has been many studies on children with ADHD and ADD who had things like red #40 taken out of their diet and the parents were able to tell a big difference in the child. Which is why I asked that questions. I'm just wondering what foods they stay away from and what a typical day of meals look like for them... Why reinvent the wheel. You know?

Quoting paganmommy4:

my adhd child eats food. I dont change her diet. shes on meds and it works

sometimes its not as simple as diet change, sometimes its chemical imbalance in the brain

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM

How old is your child?   What kinds of foods does he eat?   Why not let him have an ice cream cup after dinner 3-5 times a week when he finishes his meal?   I do not see the harm in a treat like that when it is very portion controlled.    My dd is very picky to the extreme that even smelling foods will make her gag.  She has some sort of processing disorder which we are in the process of formally diagnosing from the doctor.

Scribbleprints
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM

This sounds so much like my son...EXTREMELY picky eater, bored, doesn't want to do things, and for a long time would talk about pains like growning pains.  We have been able to improve his diet some.  It's hard.  He has trouble with doing new stuff in general...not just food.  

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Are we sure there is not a texture issue here? Just thought I would ask. I know everyone jumps to conclusions over SPD lately (IMO) but whatever. lol

My dd is ADHD she is has never been picky at all. She is NOT on meds and I do NOT restrict her diet in anyway. We just use calming down methods and disicipline.

I just make homemade foods, everything from scratch basically. Just to be healthier. Homemade chicken fingers and soups and pastas,  to bread and even puddings and so on. You could just try to switch it up and do more homemade foods to control the amounts in the food. Instead of cutting it out 100% I dont understand how people can do it, its so hard.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My younger son went on a few food diet - I talked to the doctor, and as long as he was getting the basic food groups I was told not to worry, and he did grow out of it eventually. If I remember correctly, he would eat cheese and fruit and bread, that was it. The doctor did have him take a multi-vitamin for a while.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Try and serve only healthy foods to him.  Don't give in that he will only eat junk.  Keep trying and don't give in or up. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

KateSmith88
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM

My son is 7 years. He likes:

-Trixs yogert

-Chicken strips

-Cho. Milk

-Turkey

-Green apples, strawberries, and grapes

-Apple juice

I dont see the harm in him having ice cream also, but I have tried that and he ends up deciding after awhile its not worth it and wont fine whats on his plate expect for what he does like and then wakes up hungry or cant fall asleep because hes hungry. I hate sending him to bed like that, but I do anyway. He also has issues with smells from foods, but it doesnt make him gag. He hates the smell of eggs and mac n cheese. What kind of doctor did you have your daughter see thats diagnosing the processing  disorder? I was thinking maybe my son has an issue with the feeling of the foods in his mouth and thats why he doesnt like them... maybe..

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old is your child?   What kinds of foods does he eat?   Why not let him have an ice cream cup after dinner 3-5 times a week when he finishes his meal?   I do not see the harm in a treat like that when it is very portion controlled.    My dd is very picky to the extreme that even smelling foods will make her gag.  She has some sort of processing disorder which we are in the process of formally diagnosing from the doctor.

KateSmith88
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

My SIL was telling me she thought it was a texture issue as will. I'm going to look into that.

I dont understand how people cut things out 100% as well, but I thought maybe I could try it and it might be worth it if it helped...

Would you mind giving me your recipes for your homemade chicken fingers, bread and pudding? I just got myself a bread maker and haven't used it yet, but am excited I might be able to get him eating something better than store bought white bread.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Are we sure there is not a texture issue here? Just thought I would ask. I know everyone jumps to conclusions over SPD lately (IMO) but whatever. lol

My dd is ADHD she is has never been picky at all. She is NOT on meds and I do NOT restrict her diet in anyway. We just use calming down methods and disicipline.

I just make homemade foods, everything from scratch basically. Just to be healthier. Homemade chicken fingers and soups and pastas,  to bread and even puddings and so on. You could just try to switch it up and do more homemade foods to control the amounts in the food. Instead of cutting it out 100% I dont understand how people can do it, its so hard.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My chicken fingers are simple. I dip them in extra virgin olive oil. I use italian breadcrumbs, with pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder, sometimes some cajun spices and some bail or red pepper flakes. I usually always add some parm cheese. I have just kind of used whatever I have on hand. lol play around with it. lol

I have used also corn flakes and an egg wash to make them as well, with a little salt and pepper (tatse better on fish) IMO. lol I wil have to dig up my bread and the pudding one wen lo goes for a nap I dont know those off by heart. lol

Quoting KateSmith88:

My SIL was telling me she thought it was a texture issue as will. I'm going to look into that.

I dont understand how people cut things out 100% as well, but I thought maybe I could try it and it might be worth it if it helped...

Would you mind giving me your recipes for your homemade chicken fingers, bread and pudding? I just got myself a bread maker and haven't used it yet, but am excited I might be able to get him eating something better than store bought white bread.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)