Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Letting dad make the decision to circ or not?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 97 Replies

Poll

Question: Who made the decision to circ or not?

Options:

I made the decision.

His father made the decision.

Both of us together.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

I can do all the reading and research I want. I still won't be able to understand what it is like to have a penis, because, well

I don't have a penis.

I'm torn on if we should circ my son or not. He isn't due til August so we have a little bit of time to think on it, but I think I'm going to let my SO make the decision. He is cut.

I hate the idea of causing pain to my little baby...

I've only seen one uncirc'd penis in my life. I can't say that I found it attractive at all. I pretty much felt bad for the guy... I would hate for my son to feel self conscious about his penis.

I would hate for him to wonder why he looks different from his daddy. That's something he could understand when he is older, but you can't really explain to a toddler learning to pee.

My SO says that he would have hard feelings towards his parents if they had left him intact. He is glad that they did it. He has a scar around it, but it doesn't bother him or me.

I think that no matter how much I weigh the pros and cons, I still am not going to know what to do. I don't have a penis, I won't understand what it is like either way.

Did anybody else leave this decision up to dad?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coupon_ash_back
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM
5 moms liked this
No decision about a baby(that required two people to make) should be left up to one person.
iHEAVENn
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I educated myself as best as I could on the issue, but in the end felt that it would be better for hubby to have the final say. 

daisybaby91
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM

What did he choose if you don't mind me asking?

I feel like either way, it doesn't matter what my son's penis looks like to me, but it will matter to him. My SO can understand this better than I can, and I am okay with him choosing either option. I think he wants to have him circ'd because he is glad that his parents made that choice with him.

Quoting iHEAVENn:

I educated myself as best as I could on the issue, but in the end felt that it would be better for hubby to have the final say. 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
If I could go back, I would not have circumcised either of my boys. First one is because I thought that's just what everyone did. Second one is not. Most other countries do not do this... and neither of my boys have had infections or anything.
It is personal choice, but I believe that unless it is medically necessary, it is completely wrong to do this.
Eta: I have had sexual partners that are and aren't... and as long as clean there is no difference. Honestly, I prefer natural if I had to choose
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamsMommy0731
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Like Conniejo, I also cir'd my first son and regret that as he has had issues come from the skin readhering.
Ds3 is intact and we have had no issues of any sort.
My older son's father made the decision to cir'c him cause of religious reasons and to look like him.
My younger son's dad was adamant on leaving him even though he was cut himself.

Imo, it should be a joint decision on such an impactful subject
spotsmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I told my husband it was up to him.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:36 AM

i dont have a boy, but if i did, he would get circ'd. 

Bleacheddecay
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I would  never have my son cut. There is no need to cause him pain and reduce his future ability to enjoy sex to the fullest. At 20, he has never had any issues and is happy he wasn't cut. His father was cut and resented it.

AmiJanell
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Let you SON decide, it's his penis!
You may not have a penis... But your husband doesn't have a foreskin, so he doesn't know what it's like either.
It's not an issue that your son and husband don't "match" your son won't care. They both have a penis... A mans penis doesn't look like a child's penis cut or not.
My husband is cut... My son is not... It's never been an issue.
I don't have concerns about him being self conscious because we have raised him to be self confident.... And many boys are left intact these days... And who the heck will be looking at his penis!?
There is no medical reason to subject a newborn to needless surgery for social norms.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I don't have any boys and never will.

I assume we'd make the decision together but I totally get that he'd have a heavy weigh in on that. I would gladly give him the majority vote as long as we researched together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN