Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my cat doesn't like to love anymore cause of kitten

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
  • 11 Replies
He's always pissed now only cuddles once a day. Im little worried cause I'm pregnant if he's mad about the kitten what is he gonna do with a newborn baby. Any advice
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Motherof_one
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM
It should be ok sounds like your cat just needs to get used to the kitten. My cat was the sane way lol.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Where did the kitten come from?  A human baby is very different from a feline baby so their reaction could be very different.

Amber94
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:27 AM
We adopted it

Quoting frndlyfn:

Where did the kitten come from?  A human baby is very different from a feline baby so their reaction could be very different.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I think over time your primary cat will be more comfortable with the kitten.  They just need to learn each others language and not be isolated from each other (in case that was happening).  I have a scaredy cat so any time we just introduced him to a kitten he would go run and hide.   He did very well with our dd when she was born.  He was our baby monitor since if she stirred even once as an infant he would run to find us.  Now he is 11 and dd is 7.

FAITHxHOPEx3
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Be careful. I tried to get a kitten with my 2 y/o male cat. The kitten was fine. The 2 y/o cat would fight with the kitten. I constantly heard the kitten crying. I ended up finding the kitten dead. Although I have no proof, I believe my cat killed it.

sunglasses mini~Nikki~

"Where there is no struggle, there is no strength."

Tumblr

MySpace

offrdngal
by Terri on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM

How long have you had the kitten?  It will take time for you cat to get used to the kitten being around.  Is the cat being aggressive toward the kitten or just not cuddling with you as much?  Not cuddling with you as much, is just a jealous issue that he needs to work through.  Reassure him that he is still welcome to cuddle.  Go out of your way to pick him up and give him attention.

If he is being aggressive with the kitten, you need to keep an eye on him.  If the kitten is really small, don't leave it alone with the cat until you are sure the kitten can "hold it's own", in a scuffle.  The scuffles will be over dominance.  The cat is letting the kitten know "hey...this is my place".  You can redirect the cat when you see it start to happen. 

It could take a few weeks or just a few days, but you'll see them getting along or at least tolerating other, before you know it.

nikki666444
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

cats have such diff personalities it's hard to say lol

Pukalani79
by Ivy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

It took about 2 weeks for our cat to get used to the kitten.  She's still not overly thrilled, but she tolrates her, and I have even caught her grooming the kitten (although if she catches you watching, she'll get up, smack the kitten and walk off in a huff lol). 

Marimaru
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My cats got mad as hell when my oldest was born.  They destoyed a futon mattress with urine.  They are no longer allowed in the bottom half of our house, which has carpet.  Upstairs is hard wood, and we didn't replace the futon in the room where they ruined it.  Our bedroom is upstairs, so they sleep all snuggled with me at night (they started that when I got pregnant with my youngest, and never stopped).  

They both seem to like my youngest, which is a crackup to me.

casseopeia
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

LOL - yeah, typical cat behavior.

Quoting Pukalani79:

It took about 2 weeks for our cat to get used to the kitten.  She's still not overly thrilled, but she tolrates her, and I have even caught her grooming the kitten (although if she catches you watching, she'll get up, smack the kitten and walk off in a huff lol). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)