Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should his car seat slide forward like that?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 21 Replies

My almost 5 year old son has a booster with a back that we use with the normal seat belt in the car. It feeds through a slot near his shoulder so it doesn't cross his neck and seems to be correctly positioned on his body. We do NOT attach the seat to the car (like we did when using the harness), just put it down, them him in it, and buckle the big seat belt over him.

So the other day my husband had to very minorly slam on the breaks and my son slid forward and said "Haha! My nose touched Daddy's seat!" Is it just that we didn't stop fast enough for the seatbelt to lock? I don't know if his car seat scooched forward or just his body.,. we are not supposed to buckle the seat in with the latch system, right?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I would take this post over to the car seat safety group. It sounds like your seat belts might have not locked like they were supposed to when he slammed on the brakes. 

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM
No he shouldnt have done that. Sounds like the seat belt locking mechanism did not activate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coleysmama
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That's not supposed to happen. You need to read the owners manual for his seat. If you don't have it you can look it up online using the model number.

lovingmy4babies
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I'd check out the owner's manual, check out the seat belts in the car, and go talk to the ladies in the car seat group. It sounds like there was a problem with the seat belt, though.

kaylamom2004
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

if it's moving forward then he's too small for the booster & needs to be heavier.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Even boosters that are latchable installs are not meant to keep the seat and child back. It is a loose latch more meant to keep you from being whacked with an empty booster in an accident.

Sounds more like a seatbelt problem.

Which- you're either supposed to lock the belt manually each time, which is contraindicated in some boosters- or it just didn't work.
jessi2girls
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

according to my manual for my car seat it says no..

mommyajay
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

What seat  is it, take  a pic please

jessi2girls
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Sounds like either the locking mechanism failed, he's too small still, or it wasn't properly seat belted. 

mommyajay
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

What is  it saying? When your child is 1  year old  you must remove....? cant see

Quoting jessi2girls:

according to my manual for my car seat it says no..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN