Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to explain to my 6 year old?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have a question for anyone who can help. We have recently had a death in the family and the person is being cremated. My son was close to this person and wants to go to the funeral. So How do I explain to my 6 year old son about cremation? He will ask questions about where her body is when we go.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Just tell him some people choose to be buried and some people choose to turn their body into ashes.
I would try to avoid the "burnt" word but if he asks I would tell him.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Tell him. My dd was 6 when my stepdad was cremated. She wants to be cremated herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Quoting Retrokitty:

Just tell him some people choose to be buried and some people choose to turn their body into ashes.
I would try to avoid the "burnt" word but if he asks I would tell him.

This is actually exactly what I was gonna say.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I would explain it as other pp have said.  You could also say the body has already moved on to its next form which happens to be ash.   i havent had to broach this topic yet with dd so not sure completely what i would say.

Keatonsmom9606
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

thanks yall. This helps me alot.

MommyTo2Boyz
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Is the person actually going to be cremated before the funeral? If so I would tell him what Retrokitty said. My MIL was cremated, but we had a viewing before they did anything with her body. We didn't tell our boys anything about her being cremated.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

It should help too if your son is told that our bodies are not us, just containers for what's important and different about each of us.

Also it might help to talk about how cremation takes up less space and let's the remains possibly be on a mountain top or somewhere in nature.

jessi2girls
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I explained death to my oldest dd by using a flower as an example.. They start off like a sprout and they blossom into a person..  when it's time, the flower wilts.. and returns to the earth so that new life can be created.... But every flower, and every person leaves behind their memories.. and these memories are planting in our minds like seeds.. 

As far as the cremation part.. it's just a way someone chooses to return to the earth.. (it helped that we were also going to be scattering their ashes).. 

anyways, that's how I explained it to my oldest dd when her great grandfathers passed away. 

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I would just tell him.

UpSheRises
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM
My dad died last month and was cremated. I told my 6yo DS straight up. We talked about how strange it was that my entire dad was there in a box too small for a pair of shoes. I told him some people, dont like the idea of turning into dirt so they choose to be turned into ashes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)