Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TIps on how to take Binky away?!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

My DS is going to be 2 next month, and he LOVES his binky(pacifier).  He is a very fussy boy, during the day and at night.  I HATE the thing, and hate that he has it still.  My DD only had her binky til she was 15 months, and only nap and night time. However, she was a completely different infant/toddler.....very quiet, and not fussy.  It frustrates me to no end that my son has a pacifier in his mouth all the time.

So, My DH and I want to get rid of the binky by my DS's 2nd birthday.  I have heard a few ways to "wean" him off of it.   But a friend of mine told me to cut the tip off of the binky (like 1/4 way) and it should only take 2-3 days to get him to not want it.  Anyone heard of this or have done this?

I need advice please!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM

We never cut off the tip but my oldest bit off the tips of them. He didn't mind that it had no tip. We ended up just taking it off of him. He only had it at bedtime by that point. He cried for it for 15 minutes the first night and then 10 minutes the second night. By the 3rd night he didn't cry for it all. I have no suggestions for taking it from a child during the day. Both of my boys gave up the day time binky on their own.

by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I took the binky away from my son by just having a talk with him one day and explaining that he is a big boy now and not a baby.  I told him I'm going to take it away the weekend after.  I did and rarely heard about wanting it again after.  My son was 3 years then, now he is 5 years.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Binky fairy leave outside give gift in place throw away binkis "so other babies can have them"
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM
My parents gave me a choice (well my grandpa but long story) between something I loved doing and having my binky. I rode horses so he had my pony's reins in one hand and held out his other for my binky if i wanted to ride. Never gave it back and anytime I whined told me I'd have to give him my pony for it. Needless to say I kept my pony.
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I say cold turkey is the best way to go. That was the only way for us, when my oldest was little. Weaning just caused more problems in the long run, so we threw it out and were done with it. She cried a bit in the first few days, but after day 2 or 3, it was all over.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I had a "boo" (as we called it) addicted baby.. we tried poking a hole in the tip.. cutting off the end of the tip.. putting something icky tasting on it (in her case it was carrot puree, lol).. 

we tried bribing, we tried getting her to give them up herself for a new toy..

we tried cold turkey for a week (to which she actually threw up several times from being upset over it)... 

It wasn't until her sister was born, and big sister mode kicked in that we were able to have her give them up.. we told her the new baby needed them, and she wanted to help out.. so gave all her "boos" to her sister..

her sister never did take well to a pacifier.. I think I used them once or twice without her spitting it right back out.. lol. 

Every child had their own way of kicking the paci (or whatever other attachment they have).. one suggestion below may work.. or it may not.. just keep trying, give it at least a week per method before giving up, you'll eventually find what works for your child here. 

by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Ours "magically disappeared" and in place of them, my dd got a new big girl bed. I told my friend about cutting the tip and it worked for her dd.
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I have heard of that... as long as it doesnt have suction I am sure that would work... three of my children didnt really use one but at a year old we gave one to our daughter ti prep for an air plane trip... it was hard ti get rid of,,, I painted them with the no suck thumb sucking liquid you can get and brush on... it took 4 days but prevented her from stealing her cousins and youger brothers in the future... because she thought they all went bad :) Just an idea if you want to give it a try :)

by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I read my son the "pacifiers are not forever book" about 1000 times. We decided that he would give up his "bee bee" on his 3rd birthday. It was about a few weeks after I found the book. We told him there were a limited amount of Bee Bees, at 3 he would be a big biy. We went to the local hopsital and brought the bee bees to the babies in the hopsital. These 2 HUGE secutrity guards were giving my little guy high 5s for giving up his Bee Bee... It was cute! After that we also went and bought a toy that was for "big boys"

My son only mentioned one time a few days later that he missed his bee bee... And i told him how proud I was he gave them to the babies... 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Why do you want to take it away?

I think taking it away during the day when its not needed and then expecting him to go to sleep without it are two different things.

My girls never took a paci (not for lack of trying!!), but they have other comfort items that they use. My middle guy had his paci at night until 3 1/2, he'd been without it since 18 months during the day, it was his comfort item- as I suspect it is for your little guy. We did 2 things, my best friend was having a baby, so we gathered them all up and gave them to her, but he also picked out a new stuffed animal to sleep with- for a week, we would say ok, you have this many more days until we give the pacis to Rachel for the baby, but we'll go shopping for a new animal for bed time. So we went cold turkey, but there was fair warning and he understood and there wasn't any in the house to cry for. He didn't cry, but it did take him awhile to go to sleep that first night.

But don't be in a hurry for your baby to grow up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)