Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ambulance about hit me.. would you call and complain?????

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 62 Replies

I was coming through an 4 way intersection and the light was green and when I reached the middle of the intersection an ambulance was coming and I slammed on the brakes because we were a few inches from hitting each other. I could not see it coming as there were buildings in the way and I did not hear it! Was thinking about calling the ambulance dept. and complaining telling them that they just about caused another accident. Im not usually one to complain but this bothered me and especially since I had my one year old in the car with me. I understand they are traveling pretty fast to get to the accident but shouldnt they slow down a bit at an intersection and especially when my light was green and a car could be coming through???? or should I just let it go??????

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busymom64064
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
4 moms liked this
Seriously just let it go. Emergency vehicles, yes should slow down at an intersection to make sure everything is able to let you through, HAVE the right of way in an emergency. That is WHY you are supposed to pull over. Just because you have a green light doesn't mean you have the right of way in an emergency. If you do call, they might apologize , but roll their eyes.
saysmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I know that you pull over for an ambulance and I know that they have the right of way! But the light was green and I did not see (because of bldgs) or hear it so how did I know to slow down or even pull over?

Quoting busymom64064:

Seriously just let it go. Emergency vehicles, yes should slow down at an intersection to make sure everything is able to let you through, HAVE the right of way in an emergency. That is WHY you are supposed to pull over. Just because you have a green light doesn't mean you have the right of way in an emergency. If you do call, they might apologize , but roll their eyes.

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
That's why you're suppose to look before you pull out... If lights and or sirens were on they have the right of way regardless of the light.
saysmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Pull out from where???? I was coming down a hill through a green light surrounded by buildings? Like I said I couldnt see the ambulance and didnt hear it!!!! Since when do you pull out when going through a 4 way intersection when the light is green????????

Quoting terpmama:

That's why you're suppose to look before you pull out... If lights and or sirens were on they have the right of way regardless of the light.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM
8 moms liked this
if it was that close to hitting you, that means it was visible as you approached the intersection

I ALWAYS glance both ways right before I cross an intersection, regardless if it's green for me

it's called defensive driving, it's YOUR job (rhetorical you) to look out for other drivers, especially emergency vehicles
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly

Quoting comptonkids:

if it was that close to hitting you, that means it was visible as you approached the intersection

I ALWAYS glance both ways right before I cross an intersection, regardless if it's green for me

it's called defensive driving, it's YOUR job (rhetorical you) to look out for other drivers, especially emergency vehicles

saysmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

And thats the reason I didnt get hit by the ambulance, I looked to my left and saw it. If I had not looked, it would have hit me! It just shook me up so bad, guess I got too worked up about it!

Quoting comptonkids:

kaylamom2004
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

They'd go off on your because you are supposed to stop & they have the right of way! Let it go & pay better attention next time.

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
If the siren was on then you should have heard it. If your radio was too loud that's on you. And I agree with the pp if it was that close you should have seen it... Its called being aware of your surroundings

Quoting saysmom:

Pull out from where???? I was coming down a hill through a green light surrounded by buildings? Like I said I couldnt see the ambulance and didnt hear it!!!! Since when do you pull out when going through a 4 way intersection when the light is green????????

Quoting terpmama:

saysmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I guess all of you would have just had to been there and see the intersection. And I will say it again, I know the laws. I know you are suppose to stop for an emergency vehicle. But when you dont see it and dont hear it and the light is green??????? And luckily once I was in the middle of the intersection I looked and saw it and slammed on brakes! Very scary!

Quoting kaylamom2004:

They'd go off on your because you are supposed to stop & they have the right of way! Let it go & pay better attention next time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)